ADVERTISEMENT

Football Clay Helton on assessing future staff changes

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
We had a limited window with Clay Helton after practice Tuesday and a lot of questions to get in about the staff changes, and in the end there was one important one I felt wasn't asked.

Does he expect to re-evaluate more positions on his staff later, assuming he himself is retained, or does he feel the two changes made this week are the extent of the changes needed?

So I asked him yesterday after practice. Here was his response:

"I think at the end of the year you look at everything. You look at your personnel, you look at staff, you even look at yourself and say, 'Hey, what are the things that need to get better?' That doesn't involve always staff changes; it involves, hey, these are the areas that we need to get better in, this is what we need to do better as an organization -- whether it's operations, whether it's on the field, whether it's recruiting. And I sit down and I take a lot of time. I actually each and every year present that to Mr. Swann and get his opinion and his take, obviously having been a part of championship programs. And sit down and see what's the next steps. That doesn't always involve staff changes. It involves us getting better altogether, and I'll do that after the season. Right now I'm just so focused on us having a great November, and also now being a play-caller, helping with game plans -- those are things that take a lot of time and I want to do my best job for our seniors and this team, and once we're done I'll sit down and see what's the best for us."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.