ADVERTISEMENT

Football Clay Helton says Graham Harrell is "making all the calls"

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
I asked Clay Helton on his Sunday night media conference call what involvement he had in adjusting the gameplan as the game went along yesterday.

"We always, whether it's offense, defense or special teams, I communicate with each coordinator and we discuss what's going on in the game. Ultimately, Graham's making all the calls and I thought he did a great job. We're seeing drop-8 and all of a sudden we're handing the ball off 45 times for 171 yards. That's what the game dictated and that's what the offense [does] -- it takes what the defense gives you. You look up and you have 452 yards of offense, which is the most that's been put on BYU thus far, but we made the critical errors -- three critical errors that stopped drives and led to 10 points, and that's the difference in the game. But I thought the communication was good as far as exactly what was going on and that the ball needed to be run, and then Graham did a great job of staying patient, staying disciplined and kept on giving it to some good backs and a good offensive line who maintained the line of scrimmage."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.