ADVERTISEMENT

Football Full transcript: Clay Helton Sunday night teleconference

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Opening comments ...
"Tough loss for kids. I thought they put a lot into the preparation for that game. I really feel bad for them coming up just short, as hard as they battled. It was one of those close games where you see four or five critical plays deciding the outcome of the game, and if anyone one of them's different the outcome is different.

"Defensively, I thought in the first half we had some gap integrity issues and some missed tackles that helped sustain drives and get their run game going, obviously getting them up two scores by halftime. I thought at halftime, our defensive staff got it cleaned up -- played a lot better in the second half and held their offense scoreless until the last third-and-1 on the last drive.

"Offensively, I thought Tee put together a plan, one that Jack could handle and be effective with while still being aggressive. I was proud of Jack and how he competed. I thought he put us in a position to win the game. He handled not only the offense well but also handled the two-minute situations and situational mastery phases for his first time out there. The way he competed and ran the offense, I was very, very proud for him. It was good to see the running game be more productive than the week prior -- not to say it was perfect, but it was more productive.

"Special teams, you know, we traded blows. We get a big play early with the punt return for a touchdown and then they get it back with a critical return of their own in the third quarter when we had the lead."

On injuries (same news as Saturday) ...
"We held Olaijah Griffin in that game for a shoulder. Talanoa [Hufanga] had a clavicle fracture. Marvell [Tell], we held because of stingers. Levi [Jones] was pulled from the game [with] a hip injury. We held Cam [Smith] for hamstring and knee, and then Chuma [Edoga] had a knee hyperextension in the game he tried to fight through and then ultimately had to be pulled."

On who starts at QB when JT Daniels is cleared ...
"I do not have full clearance on JT yet. I'll be able to give you more on Tuesday. With that, obviously, if is cleared he will start in the game. If he's not then we'll go just like we did last game with Jack and Holden [Thomas] and Brandon [Perdue]."

On what USC will do at safety with another starter out for the season ...
"You know, we've got to see where Marvell is. Obviously, I'm sick for Talanoa. What an incredible freshman year that that kid had. I was there in the locker room with him and his dad after the game, and [I told him] how proud I am of the season that he's had and how much he's helped us. Hopefully we can get Marvell back this week. We moved a very veteran player into the safety position with Ajene Harris and moved [Jonathan] Lockett to nickel. I thought Lockett played a really good game. I was proud for him getting his opportunity and made the most of it. He really helped us in that game holding that position down. Right now safety-wise, we have Marvell, we can use Ajene, we have C.J. Pollard and we have [walk-on] Jordan McMillan right now."

On whether Sears' play Saturday makes him reevaluate the depth chart at all ...
"I'm confident in JT and what he's done for our football team. I'm excessively proud, I said it last night but I'll say it again, of what Matt and Jack have done for our football team when JT has been out -- I think [it] has been exceptional. It's a credit to them, both as players and as men. Just the way they prepare each and every week to help us if called upon, and they've done a magnificent job. It's obvious that both guys not only can compete at this level but be successful at this level. And that's great to see. It's what you want to have is to have multiple quarterbacks that can walk into a game and be effective. So I know Jack will prepare just as hard and be ready for his opportunity again whether that's this week or in weeks to come."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.