ADVERTISEMENT

Football Full transcript from Coach Henny interview from Thursday

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
The Gavin Meyer buzz appears to be very legit -- that's been a key development from camp (I have more coming on that).

It really sounds like Eric Henderson is ideally suited to get the most out of Bear Alexander. That will be a major point of evaluating Henny's impact as a developer of talent.

More praise for Jide Abasiri. I don't think he's a factor this year, but it sounds like he's very much on track to be a guy for this team down the road.

Who is standing out to you on the defensive line?

"Man, it really has been a good camp thus far. I'm really pleased with all of the guys, to be honest with you. But when you talk about the addition of Gavin Meyer, his explosiveness off the ball, physicality in the run game. Kobe Pepe started camp really, really hot and has been consistent. Anthony Lucas has been rushing his butt off, been really physical in the run game. You know, Nate Clifton has been fantastic for us. His versatility along the front, his above-the-neck approach to the game has been something I've been extremely impressed with. Jamil obviously plays with a tremendous effort, and all these guys have been playing at a level of physicality that I think it takes to have success in this league, especially going into the Big Ten. So, been excited about that. Really, the entirety of the room. Our young guys are developing. Elijah has been really doing a heck of a job in terms of his development. Jide -- Jide has come along well, had a really good scrimmage last week. And I'm really proud and pleased with where we are, but nowhere nearly finished in terms of where we need to go. So we've got a long ways to go, but I'm very excited with where we are right now."

When do you sense a player is trusting themselves on the field?

"Well, the confidence they play with, the way they take the field, the energy, the way they communicate on the field. You can tell when they trust each other because they're loud in terms of their communication. We preach obnoxious communication and these guys have really been putting that on full display. The entirety of the defense. Coach Lynn has done a tremendous job in terms of being clear, being direct with the guys. There are no gray areas. We overcommunicate. We're going to be obnoxious when it comes to that. And the guys have really taken to that. They've gotten better. Spring ball has been really good for that. We took some lumps early on and now you're starting to see the confidence within the scheme of the defense, and the way guys are flying around has been promising."

On the edge, how challenging has it been with Braylan isn't practicing, Kam's been out?

"It hasn't been challenging, it's been really good. It's like a blessing in disguise when you get those opportunities to truly develop the young guys, you know. Obviously, those guys are in good shape and they're continuing to get better with the little nicks and bruises that you get in camp, but nothing serious, thank God. These guys have been doing a really good job, and that's why our young guys have been getting the snaps that they need to get to get ready for the season. They're able to develop with the amount of snaps that they're getting, and it's been fortunate for us as a defense."

What were your takeaways from the first scrimmage?

"The speed in which we play with -- the speed and the physicality and also the confidence you just spoke of, the way that we communicated, the physicality in the trenches in the line of scrimmage, speed from the linebacker position, the depth of our secondary and the way those guys have competed. It's been really good, man. Again, we're not where we want to be, but we're definitely moving in the right direction and we're really pleased with the effort that these guys have been giving us every day and we're super thankful to be coaching these guys."

What have you learned about recruiting so far in the job?

"It's fun, it's natural and really enjoy that. I think I'm a people's person and I love building those relationships, talking to families, and just it's a genuine approach with me. So that's always been my approach. Nothing less than real, and just enjoy my job. I'm super blessed to have this job."

Bear talked about how he related to you and your story, how much has that helped to get through to him?

"When speaking of Bear, it's natural. It's the same thing we talk about in recruiting, right. When you enjoy building those relationships ... myself, I took the approach of being vulnerable with my guys, opening up and sharing my story with them because I want them to feel the same level of comfort to be able to share their stories with us as a staff. And I think when you do that, that's how you can build the trust. We have to earn these guys' trust. It's not like we just came in here and demanded it. I know and understand that we have to earn that. That's our job, and when you earn that, the guys give it back to you, man. I truly believe that. It's been something that's been successful. It's just my personal approach, it's our staff approach, it's why we're on the same page on the defensive side and as a staff as a whole, and it's been fun. It really has been."

What have you seen from Gavin Meyer?

"Gavin has hit the ground running. He came in in the summer and immediately took to the playbook. He is such a phenomenal football player in terms of his ability to play multiple positions up front, his above-the-neck approach to the game has been phenomenal. He lines up all over the defensive line, which all of our guys do, so it only helps them. You have to have that mental capacity to be able to play multiple positions as well as have success at those different spots. So, Gavin has hit the ground running, has been doing that for us and we're super excited to have him. I'm telling you, he has been phenomenal."

Lincoln has talked about Bear needing to show more consistency, how do you get that out of him?

"It's just that -- it's being able to, like I said, I was vulnerable, I opened up to the defensive line and had those same genuine personal conversations with guys like Bear. So that level of trust has been earned on both sides, and when that trust is there you're able to coach them hard. And when you can coach them hard and they know that it comes from the right place, it's just nothing but respect. And that's on both sides. I respect the way he goes about his business, the way he's in my office consistently. He understands where his limitations are and he works at it, and that's all you can really ask. When guys work at it and they come to work every day, then you're just fired up to coach guys like that. That's just where we are. He's continuing to get better. We're nowhere near where we want to be obviously, and we're working every day so that's a good thing."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.