ADVERTISEMENT

Football Monday practice notes: Graham Harrell on play-calling, BYU thoughts

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell smiled and chuckled a bit at the question. The latest Trojans conspiracy theory of the week was that surely head coach Clay Helton had interjected himself in the play-calling in the second half of that 30-27 overtime loss at BYU on Saturday.

"Yeah, I called them all," Harrell said.

Furthermore, he emphasized that Helton has given him full autonomy to run his offense as he sees fit since he was hired -- especially on game days.

"He made it clear that he would let me just call it. I think if you ever want any kind of rhythm and stuff, he's got to let you do that. So that was clear," Harrell said Monday after practice. "And during the week he sits in, he watches, he helps with the game plan and stuff like that. You know, he's a great asset to have. He's obviously coached offensive football for a long time, but when it comes to gameday he just lets us do our thing and lets us try to go execute and play fast.

"Like I said, he's been great about always saying, 'For a play-caller I know you've got to get in a rhythm, so between series we can talk or whatever if you've got questions, but when we're rolling just go do it.'"

Helton said much of the same when asked about it Sunday night, noting "Graham's making all the calls." Maybe Harrell's affirmation will quell the conspiracy theory du jour, maybe not.

RELATED: Watch video interviews with USC players and coaches from Monday

Either way, the impetus for fans' frustration and speculation stemmed in part from the fact that the Trojans definitely weren't rolling coming out of halftime Saturday while committing heavily to the run. They had a three-and-out on their first series of the third quarter, undone quickly by two unsuccessful runs, and then a four-plays-and-punt on four straight runs the next series. They'd end up running only 10 plays in the third quarter, including just one pass attempt.

As Helton said after the game Saturday, USC emphasized the ground game after seeing BYU commit to dropping eight defenders in coverage -- and after freshman quarterback Kedon Slovis threw two early interceptions.

"I've been thoroughly impressed with [Harrell]. Everything I thought would happen as far as taking what the defense gives you [has happened] -- the defense drops 8, he hands it off over 40 times," Helton said. "And that's probably the biggest challenge when you're supposedly an Air Raid guy is being able to have the discipline to hand it off over and over again when they're giving it to you."

Helton added that he saw early on in their time together Harrell's ability to adjust on the fly.

"He has tremendous confidence and knows his system inside and out and knows what to get to in a hurry," Helton said. "Even you could see it spring, when [defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast] would make a change he would make a change instantly."

The problem is the running game was hit and miss Saturday night -- not consistent enough to truly carry the offense when it needed to in a close game. Helton has touted that USC rushed for 171 yards, but consider that BYU came into the day giving up an average of 252 yards per game on the ground (third-worst in the FBS).

Harrell praised the Cougars' defensive front and the consistent play of the three down linemen to allow the unit to be able to drop so many into coverage.

"On the plays where we had good runs we usually moved the down linemen. On plays where we struggled, the D-linemen kind of held their own. And like I said, you've got to give them credit and they did a good job of holding their own," Harrell said. "But going in there was probably a high possibility we were going to have to do that, and after Kedon threw his second interception also you've got to try to let him get settled in and try to take something off of him. ...

"I think they had a good gameplan against us and we had long fields most of the night. And if you've got long fields, you've got to play pretty good to go score if they're not going to give you explosives. And I think that was probably the game plan -- to take away explosives."

While on the topic of play-calling, Harrell was asked about the approach in overtime where USC came out with two runs plays -- with Vavae Malepeai losing a yard on first down and picking up 5 on second down before Slovis' fateful third interception. Harrell said he wouldn't change a single call.

"I just call what I feel, to be honest with you," he said. "There was never a discussion about it. The first play, we had a shot at it, they came in and chopped the H-back, but there was a little hole in the A gap and it flashed and we didn't see it. And second down we were trying to get something back. We got it to a third and really manageable, honestly, so I thought we were in good position. … And then on that third down play Kedon just made a poor decision.

"They made one more play than we did all night. If we take care of the football, we probably win the game and we're probably not in overtime, to be honest with you. So we have to learn from that and grow from that, and I think that we will and be better next week."

Harrell made a point to note that Slovis wasn't the only USC offensive player who needed to take lessons from that loss, though.

The true freshman quarterback completed 24 of 34 passes for 281 yards, 2 touchdowns and those 3 interceptions. Helton and Harrell both said, and Slovis acknowledged, that he rushed or skipped his reads and progressions at times leading to some avoidable mistakes on those picks.

But Harrell reiterated there were other breakdowns -- even though he has made it the mantra of the unit to be selfless and disciplined. The first part he was pleased with;the second part needed work, he said.

"We've got to take care of the football more than anything, [but] I think as an entire unit at times we got undetailed on some things," he said. "With O-linemen it's usually like with steps or whatever. I think with receivers a lot of times you'll see it with the depths of the routes, they'll get short or they'll get too deep -- you get undetailed. And with quarterbacks, I think when they get undetailed you see it in the decision making and stuff like that and they just kind of start guessing and skipping reads. ...

"That was my message, not only to Kedon but the entire offense -- we've got to be detailed and that comes down to being disciplined. That's who we say we are."

NOTES

-Defensive end Christian Rector practiced Monday after sitting out Saturday as a game-time decision at BYU with an ankle injury. Helton seemed encouraged that he'll be able to play on Friday night against No. 10 Utah.

"Christian [practiced] and looked a lot better, so we'll work through the week, see where he's at. But he did get good work," Helton said.

Nickel Greg Johnson remains out, meanwhile. Johnson was forced out after 10 snaps Saturday and is in the concussion protocol.

Offensive lineman Andrew Vorhees, who rotates in at right guard for the Trojans but did not play Saturday, remains out indefinitely with a foot injury, Helton said.

-Bru McCoy, the 5-star freshman wide receiver, went through some light work at practice Monday. McCoy has been inactive going back to the early summer while dealing with a persistent illness and fevers, which Helton said are now behind him.

"Doing good, that's why he was out here. It's good to get him back and just get him started again," Helton said. "He's a long way off from being where you need to be, but it's so good to see him healthy, see him smiling, getting a little lather, getting strength and conditioning, just to have the opportunity to come out here and be around the guys. It was great to have him out here."

Read more on the latest on McCoy's situation here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News