Podcast: Masquerade Ball

Discussion in 'TrojanSports Podcast' started by Adam Maya, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Adam Maya

Adam Maya Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

In the wake of the most lopsided road loss in the history of USC football, we ask: What should Athletic Director Lynn Swann do? What about Coach Clay Helton? And what about quarterback Sam Darnold? The answers, like the results, may vary.

hawaiianeye and Jblaze213 like this.
  2. DJ Nice

DJ Nice Recruit
    Expand Collapse

The most damning comment was made post game by coach Kelly from Notre Dame when he said he expected his team to win big and would have been disappointed if they didn't. You wanna know why the coach would come out and say that? Because a good coaching staff has broken down our film and figured how to attack us. That's a very telling sign. My question is why can't we do the same thing? Everything remaining team on our schedule is licking their chops to play us and I believe each team feels they can beat us. I don't have much confidence that we can win out. Talent-wise, yes we should win out. But whenever a team has more talent and doesn't execute, that points to....yes I'm gonna say it, coaching.

wny likes this.
  3. wny

wny
    Expand Collapse

SC lost big because of lack of concentration...NO ATTENTION TO DETAIL. It should have been a close game with a Fourth Qtr win by either team. Bad center snap, poor attention on punt reception, poor pass decision by Darnold lead to 21 points for NOTRE DAME and took away scoring drives for USC. Not to mention a chance to score a TD on short yardage at goal line followed by missing an easy Field Goal....The game was NOT as lopsided as the score indicates. I'm a Notre Dame grad and loved the game, BUT I wasn't at ease until ND stopped SC on the third possession of the second half. Reality is MOST top 25 teams are a few bad plays, turnovers, penalties away from a loss....I watch a lot of SC Football games and reality is SC could have easily come to South Bend with a 4-3 record.....Easily could have lost to Texas and Utah. Injuries, Assistant coaches, Mental attitude are key AND SC has failed at ALL THREE this season. BRIAN KELLY was on the verge of being fired last year. Changed assistant coaches and RENEWED ATTENTION to DETAIL leads to a "chance" to have a SPECIAL SEASON. Best thing that happened to ND was KIZER going pro. He had way more passing talent than WIMBUSH but LACKED attention to detail. With Kizer ND would be sitting at 5-2 or 4-3 because he lacked a sense of urgency and consistent play. SC's talent is TOP 5 BUT COACHING MATTERS and PLAYER ATTITUDE MATTERS. Unfortunately USC will be back.

3 wny, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  4. timleeg

Expand Collapse

O brother

5. wahoocurt

wahoocurt Plebe
    Expand Collapse

where was the running game Sam can't do it all by himself.
    OL/ DL SC do not have top flight physical sure fire NFL type players yet on the lines.
    Seems like the kids were not focused enough or not ready for ND's best shot at them.
    If Sam leaves, Jack Sears will have to do basically what Sam did last year for Coach Helton to keep his job.
    Totally agree with you Swanny at the end of the podcast in regards to Sam leaving and why should he go.
    Someone needs to tell Sam to relax and stop pressing and just play ball

5 wahoocurt, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. Mizzo37

Expand Collapse

Yet you can’t spell Kizer correctly.. you went to ND though

7. All_Irish

Expand Collapse

Hahahahahaha

8. DJ Nice

DJ Nice Recruit
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that was funny bro... no lie. But I've never heard a coach publicly say they expected to beat a ranked team handily. That's not a good look. That tells me teams have a good bead on us and as a USC fan, I'm not pleased about it. We need to put the smack down on ASU.