Podcast: Progression to the Mean

Discussion in 'TrojanSports Podcast' started by Adam Maya, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Adam Maya

Adam Maya Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We offer our takeaways from USC's win vs. Arizona State and its significance to the remainder of the season, especially as it pertains to QB Sam Darnold and Coach Clay Helton.

Subscribe: iTunes, audioBoom

2. cnguyen69

cnguyen69 Red Shirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Stop it guys! Oh please! Browne is not on the same level as Sam. Get off your Max Browne trip Chris. Morales was spot on when he said Max looked totally confused when he had his chance. After all this time in the program and still looked confused? Brownie is done. Darnold's our guy period!

Adam Maya likes this.
  3. trojanshmoo

trojanshmoo Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Correct me if I am wrong, but Max Browne to Juju at stanturd at the end zone is a NFL level throw. In traffic, tight small window.

What I am saying is that you have to run the offense to Max Browne's potential and skill set to SET him up for success. Max is not a zone read quarterback, that is absurd to throw him under the bus when Hell-ton and company.

Even the oline play is cruddy because this is not their skill set, to pass block. The oline is a mash it up type unit.

I am not arguing that Browne is better, only that the system matches Darnold better. Run a pro-style offense, Browne is just fine.

4. rhinsd

rhinsd Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Everybody here understands, right, that the ASU secondary was one of the worst in the nation and that anointing Darnold the next QB "answer" is WAY premature.

5. cnguyen69

cnguyen69 Red Shirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All y'all have not realized that the O was catered to Max in the first 4 games. In those games, we never ran the RPO because our Mickey Mouse staff knew that Max would never be able to run that system. The O was designed specifically to put Max in a situation that suites his style. However, there's a reason why Sark, Clay and co. realized that Max was never the answer at qb. In this day and age, qb's have to be multi-dimensional to keep opposing D's off balance. That's not Max! He's too immobile, too statuesque and makes for a perfect tee-off situation for opposing D's.

6. Chris Swanson

Chris Swanson War Daddy
    Expand Collapse

I believe Sam Darnold is the better QB. I believe he should be the starter now. I believe he should have been picked from the beginning.

My problem is only with how this was all handled. I think it was incredibly unfair to Max Browne. He has now been labeled as an average QB, or at least, not a good QB, because of how it was handled. To the average football fan, it looks like he barely beat out a quality young QB and then struggled so badly that USC had to pull him. And now the impression is that Sam Darnold has saved the offense.

I think Darnold is better and has improved the offense, but how far it's being taken isn't really fair given the competition Browne faced and looking at past QB situations at USC. I could easily see Matt Lenairt being labeled as a problem for the offense and Matt Cassel as a savior if Matt Cassel had replaced him early on in 2003. The same goes for John David Booty and Mark Sanchez when they were both at USC. And honestly, since it took Carson Palmer a few years to get things right, if Carroll had pulled him in 2002 and played someone else and USC went on a run, Palmer would probably be labeled as an issue for the offense too.

So what it's all about to me is the narrative that's been created by the coach for his starting quarterback. If Helton had picked Darnold over Browne before the season, the narrative would have been along the lines of "Jeez how good is Darnold to beat out Browne?" or "Does USC have two stud QBs?". But instead, Browne was fed to the wolves (and actually had okay numbers given what has happening around him) and Darnold had to "spark" the offense. Which he did against (IMO, for Adam Maya) easier defenses.

So that's my issue with it, the narrative. It makes me uncomfortable because I believe Browne is a guy that could work for most anyone. I think if he was on the right team he could be considered an elite college QB.

Again, I think Sam Darnold is the better quarterback. I think he's better than Browne. I think Darnold should have been named the starter before game one.

I'll never talk about this again, I promise! Hahahaha.

trojanshmoo, cnguyen69 and Adam Maya like this.
  7. SCglory

SCglory Junior
    Expand Collapse

First off, I agree that Darnold was the best choice from Day 1--esp when I knew our O-line was weaker than everyone said....and I said so. Unless our QB is highly mobile, with this o-line he's doomed. But.....having said that....just how does anyone really know how good Browne actually IS? What HAS he done in college? Any evaluation now has to be based either on practices with a weak coaching staff, depleted rosters, and going against the "2's," or back in high school! But since then he hasn't done squat. Sorry. I saw him in this year's games and yes, he WOULD have been better with an All-American O-line, or something approaching it. And, I suppose, in the interest of fairness, some team in the NFL might take a chance with him IF they have a great O-line. But make no mistake, unless Sam gets hurt, Browne has played his last meaningful minutes for the Trojans. He's done. He's slow, ponderous, and his 25 yard "run" notwithstanding, his era is done. Darnold does not just bring one spark, he brings a furnace full. His pocket mobility is outstanding, he extends plays, and he is some sort of threat to run (if not truly a dual threat QB).....

The really, really bad thing here is: how bad is a coaching staff that actually PICKED Browne as the #1 QB???? That perhaps is one of the most damning things in all of this.....They put seniority and "he's paid his dues" over skill sets. And that means that Helton's USC future is as rosy as Browne's own. He's done too.