Podcast: The Elephant in the Room

Discussion in 'TrojanSports Podcast' started by Adam Maya, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Adam Maya

Adam Maya Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We offer our takeaways from the nightmare that was USC-Alabama. (Warning: This is not for the faint of heart.)

Subscribe: iTunes, audioBoom

Jblaze213 likes this.
  2. Jack53

Jack53 Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow, what a waste of the first five minutes. Is the demographic 14-18 year olds?

3. CMMYSR

CMMYSR Recruit
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

@Jack53 What show are you listening to? What was the issue with the first 5 minutes of a show where we are talking about the game and a new podcast schedule?

calikilo likes this.
  4. Jack53

Jack53 Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That said, the rest of the podcast was well done and honest!

omohaghegh likes this.
  5. Chris Swanson

Chris Swanson War Daddy
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate the kind words Jack and the constructive criticism. You won't hear an intro like that again, we just wanted to make sure everyone was in tune with the changes and not missing the segments that have been moved to other shows.

I appreciate the fact that you listen to us, get ready for many more podcasts going forward!

Jblaze213 likes this.
  6. scvegasman

scvegasman Plebe
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Lest Talk, More rock, talk football:p

7. TheWestisBest

TheWestisBest Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No pulled punches.
    Brutal truth.

Thanks guys.

Chris Swanson and Jblaze213 like this.
  8. kramman

kramman Red Shirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Never heard Morales so opinionated. He was spot on

Jblaze213 likes this.
  9. Jblaze213

Jblaze213 Recruit
    Expand Collapse

great work guys

10. TheWestisBest

TheWestisBest Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

LoL.
    Yeah, rare when Morales is the most fired up Chris on the air.
    Desperate times, baby.

Even Adam has given up on apologizing for this mess.

11. Jack53

Jack53 Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Listening to your show. No discussion of the game until the five minute mark. Like I said, after the sound effects and the long talk about the new schedule the rest of the podcast was forthright and honest.

TrojanFanSince1970 likes this.
  12. plorenzi

plorenzi Recruit
    Expand Collapse

I was shock how badly our offensive line looked. Chuma was getting beat on 50% of the snaps. Banner got owned most of the game and I saw are guards getting rag Dahl all over the field. Alabama was the best Dline I have seen at disengaging offensive linemen. I felt Steven mitchell was solid Roger's was underwhelming as usual. Still wondering why they didn't bring Juju to the game (sarcasm). Max was solid given only one receiver made one play for him once. Defensively Porter, Adoree, Hutchings, Cam, Stevie, and Noah all played championship football. Our safeties were terrible or just not very talented. Once Noah left the game there was a huge huge drop off in the next man up. Didn't expect that with Green and all the hype Malik Dorton got this preseason. Biggie should move to safety he can't keep up with speedy receivers. Lastly our coaching staff outside of Pendergast, and our Dline coach need to take a long look in the mirror and see if they are ready for this job. They got out coach in every way. I was on record not liking the Helton hire but at this point I am on board. But he better get to 8-9 wins in the regular season or Lynn needs to step up and do his job for the program.

Jblaze213 likes this.
  13. USCMJQ

USCMJQ Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Enough of the BS and get down to business!!

14. gnordbak

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the statement our coaches are learning on the job which is not fair to the level of talent USC has. What I kept waiting for was one of you to point out how may coaches on Alabama's staff are former head coaches.

15. jorge4tx

jorge4tx Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

As long as you are welcoming comments, Chris -- I have yet to listen to this podcast because I'm so used to hearing chit-chat on your program -- which may appeal to your young friends -- for so long at the beginning that it's a chore to get to the meat, namely USC football. Your and Adam's football commentaries are very good, but when you dive into your favorite foods, childhood memories, bells and whistles you lose me -- a "mature", die-hard Trojan fan eager to listen to anything about USC football, but with little appetite for a personality driven college football podcast. It seems like you added Chris Morales for his talk-show style, but I don't know how many USC football fans from your Rivals site -- many of whom are so eager to talk football that they pay for the privilege -- find this format informative. I guess you know best what your audience and objectives are -- and what Yahoo is after.

One final "suggestion". You aren't alone in the chit-chat category, but one competing podcast at least sometimes gives us a breakdown of the content: that the first 6 minutes are this, the next 12 are that, etc. So at least that allows hard-nosers like me know when to fast-forward to the good stuff.

I do appreciate that you are passionate and knowledgeable about USC football Chris. Fight on!

creekertrojan likes this.
  16. Adam Maya

Adam Maya Alumni
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The format and nature of the podcast has been completely revamped. Just listen.

Chris Swanson likes this.
  17. bmalibu23

Expand Collapse

I know our O line maybe overrated but how. Banner, Viane, Toa, Mama, Wheeler or Edoga should be a strength, they have performed well in their time at USC so far so I'm at a loss for how much of a mismatch it was vs Bamas D line. As for developing a 2nd and 3rd receiver and tight end, I mean do you really need to be the best coach in the land to run 3 or 4 wide sets, reverses, quick hitters, I mean something. Might want to consider bringing a fullback back because these shotgun runs are pathetic. Lastly is this, if we can't correct this and end up 8 and 4 or 7 and 5 I would line up everything USC has to offer and finally really bring in a fresh start and hire Houston's Tom Herman who by the way was never a head coach just like Clay but has seemed to have already developed a culture and win. I love Clay the man but Clay the coach I'm giving him one more chance. I need to see true game planning and adjustments or this will be like the Petros Papadakis Trojans off 1999 which was the low point of USC football for me.

18. SCglory

SCglory Junior
    Expand Collapse

Guys: very good podcast. Yes, the first few minutes lapsed into that "Brian & Stewie" crap, but once that kid stuff was over, kudos to the whole gang. I suspect it took such a lop-sided loss to bring out your serious side...but whatever it was, keep it up. Very good analysis. Well-done.

Yes, this is a coaching problem....and that's what happens when one hires someone with no experience of excellence in the job. I hope Haden slept well. There is no way Helton lasts at USC...the job is simply too big for him.

18 SCglory, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  19. creekertrojan

creekertrojan Grey Shirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Listen to Murf Baldwin. We're just not good enough to beat Alabama. USC has strengths and weaknesses; our season long success depends on match-ups and improvements by players and coaches. It's not rocket science.

At this point, those focusing coaches are just venting. There will be no changes for the next three months.

Let's get behind the team and the staff.

20. Chris Swanson

Chris Swanson War Daddy
    Expand Collapse

We've changed the format of the podcast.

I felt like previously, we're recording one very long show every week that was essentially a few shows packed into one. It was always over two hours long, we answered questions, had guests, talked about the team..... and tried to add some comedy to keep people into a show that was as long as a James Cameron movie.

We had people who loved our podcasts but we also had complaints and people who felt like you did. So I decided, why not build up the show and then divide it into multiple shows so people can pick and choose what they like.

So we've broken the podcast up into three separate shows a week with clear directions.

The first show of the week (this one) will be a straight news commentary show, very serious football talk and opinions, straight to the point... like I believe this one was. This is the show you were looking for apparently, so I suggest you listen to this edition of the podcast (skip the announcement in the beginning since you're reading it).

The second show of the week will be the show that answers questions from the message board. We're recording that today. With 30 something questions this week, I doubt we'll get off track at all hahaha.

The third show of the week will be another commentary show that features a guest and highlights their thoughts on what's happening. The idea here is a USC commentary show that tries to emulate those political comedy/commentary shows you see on TV (just substitute the word political for USC when you think of us). So this will probably be the show that you'll probably hear us joke or pause from USC football a bit at times, but it will always be in relation to our guest (who should be related to USC.)

The idea is to expand the brand and keep our old fans happy, but also address people like you who don't think we're funny and wanted shorter and to the point shows. Look for these shows to be about an hour or less, three times a week.

I hope you give us a chance again and I hope you like our plan!

We announced this in the first five minutes of this show, but apparently it was a bad way to do it as everyone hated the first five minutes of our show hahaha.

21. SCglory

SCglory Junior
    Expand Collapse

It's one thing to say "we're not just good enough to beat Alabama," and it's entirely another to get slaughtered like we did. The stats are SO one-sided, that it indeed looked--as the guys said--like the NFL playing high school....Do you think Western Kentucky will score a touchdown against them? This is the sort of loss that can destroy a year...and a career. It will take everything the coaches have to get the guys focused on USU.....