ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Hits/Footnotes - Tuesday (11/28)

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
News and notes from today's practice...

K Chase McGrath (groin) attempted several field goals and looked considerably healthier.

P Reid Budrovich (shoulder) punted and attempted extra points but might have been on a pitch count. Helton said he should be fine for the game.

DE Rasheem Green (shoulder) and TE Tyler Petite (shoulder) remained out. Coach Clay Helton said their status (day-to-day) has not changed.

OLB/DE Christian Rector increased his workload while practicing with a soft cast. Helton said he's healthier than he was two weeks ago and "structurally, he's great." I'm guessing he'll have a bigger role than he's had since returning. With Jordan Iosefa seemingly starting at Predator, Rector could start on the D-line. At the very least he's behind Malik Dorton (and perhaps rotating at outside linebacker).

Rector, Dorton and Josh Fatu made up the first-team D-line today.

There were no changes on the O-line, although Austin Jackson (LT), Roy Hemsley (LG) and Clayton Johnston (RT) did get some work with the first team.

Biggie Marshall had an interception off Darnold in 7-on-7.

Ajene Harris had a PBU.

Josh Falo and Daniel Imatorbhebhe had long touchdown receptions.

I asked Helton if he intends to continue allocating the majority of rushing attempts to Ronald Jones and it sounds as though that's the plan.

"Stephen (Carr) looks like he's fully back, so I expect more reps. ... But Rojo's running really good. I think Tee's done a wonderful job of being in that 25-touch range for RoJo and obviously it's producing results for us. When he needs air, we'll put another one of those guys in."

My feeling is they're going to ride the hot hand. (Interestingly, RoJo has at least 25 carries in each of the last three games, this after never having that many attempts once in his USC career.) But if they don't have success with RoJo, for whatever reason, Carr's number will be called. Helton did remind that RoJo and Carr both played a major role in USC's first game against Stanford -- both backs went over 100 yards and Carr actually outgained RoJo despite getting half as many carries.

There's a pretty significant statistical difference from the first six games of this season to the last six for Sam Darnold. Helton was asked how much of that he'd attribute to the growth of the receiving corps versus Darnold himself. Helton reiterated that he expected growing pains all along because of inexperience at receiver.

"I didn't see a lot of difference in what Sam was doing from last year to this year," he said. "I thought he was making good decisions, maybe forced a ball every once in a while. But from quarterback play, I think the development of the guys around him has elevated our offense."

I agree with this sentiment and would add inconsistent offensive line play as another major factor. Look no further than Darnold being sacked about three times as often this year.

Wednesday's practice will be closed, although Helton will address the media afterward.

I plan to speak with Yogi Roth for Ask The Expert in the next 24 hours and will also be recording a podcast with Swanson. I believe Baldwin is recording another episode of Schemed to Death as well.

Today's video interviews feature DC Clancy Pendergast, DBs coach Ronnie Bradford, S Chris Hawkins, LB Uchenna Nwosu, LB Cam Smith and LB Jordan Iosefa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News