ADVERTISEMENT

Some football notes and quotes

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
As some of you know, Coach Clay Helton did a video Q&A earlier this week. I wanted to pass along some of the highlights for those that didn't see it. (The video runs about 30 minutes. It can't be embedded but here's the link if you're interested.)

--on Signing Day:
"What you’re very proud of as a head coach is you go in that day with several young men committed to you and not one of those young men did not sign with USC. That makes you very proud of your staff that … has built really strong relationships. And obviously you have those signing day battles that keep you up at night that last week. We didn’t win all of them but we won the majority of the battles that were out there. We felt like we won the day. I was very proud of our staff for the way they closed on some key members, not only here on the West Coast but thousands of miles away where it’s even harder."

--Helton said he expects the strongside linebacker and Predator positions to be occupied by bigger body types, pointing to Devon Kennard and J.R. Tavai. In a nickel formation, these outside linebackers become stand-up defensive ends. "So when you look at the two guys that are coming in, Connor Murphy and Wole (Betiku), man do they absolutely fit that need. Youi could see them in that 5-2 being able to set the edge and then all of a sudden you get into a nickel package where they’re stand-up defensive ends, those are 250, 255-pound men that really cause havoc out there on the edge."

--Helton said he's looking forward to seeing how Osa Masina fits into Clancy Pendergast’s system. He added that the freshman linebackers from the 2015 class are very flexible, noting that Masina can play inside or Predator. John Houston could get a look inside but Helton notes that he has “a lot of natural ability” on the edge. Uchenna Nwosu can play on the edge or in the box.

--He said part of what made Pendergast his top choice for defensive coordinator was what he accomplished in short time with Kennard, Tavai and Leonard Williams. Helton felt they all thrived in his system while noting how Pendergast built strong relationships with the players and staff at USC. "I really wanted to get that back for the Trojan family and our football team. He’s just an absolute perfect fit for us."

--He says the staff has a nice blend of experience and youthful energy "with fresh ideas."

--He said new OC Tee Martin helped him call plays in the second half of the season. Helton believes he’s a natural and a complete coach.

--He called Tommie Robinson the best running backs coach in the country. Helton appreciated how he developed Buck Allen.

--He said new OL coach Neil Callaway brings experience and strong attention to techniques and fundamentals. He also says he’s tough. "I feel sorry for our offensive line. For the first moth they’ll hate him and for the rest of their lives they’ll love him. He’s going to bring that hard-nosed approach to the offensive line, that physicality that is needed here."

--He called John Baxter the best special teams coach in country. “To steal him back from Michigan was as big of a recruit as we signed the maybe whole recruiting season”

--He said assistant Johnny Nansen is an "elite recruiter" who is very comfortable with linebackers and has strong relationships with the players.

--Helton was attracted to DBs coach Ronnie Bradford's experience as a player and coach in the secondary and added that he has strong chemistry with Pendergast

--On Kenechi Udeze:
"I’ve been in (coaching) 21 years and I’ve had the opportunity to see some really talented young coaches. I saw one four years ago in Tee Martin knowing exactly what he was going to become. Kenechi is exactly the same thing,. When I saw him coach the bowl game, the energy, the passion, the technique, the fundamental, being a first round draft pick, being able to show our guys what to do. The players trust him and play for him. I think he’s going to be here a long time doing great things."

--He said USC will use tight ends as fullbacks. he felt like one of the best offenses it had in his time here was with Rhett Ellison playing fullback, wing and slot receiver, which forced opposing defenses to defend him at three different spots.

--When asked about the matchup with Alabama and specifically Lane Kiffin, Helton said Kiffin's biggest strength is creating mismatches with his best players. "He’s going to throw a wrinkle in every week. He’s one of the more offensively brilliant minded people I’ve ever been around in my career."

--He said with PK Alex Wood gone, USC will have kickers try out in spring and the fall. Helton liked how Matt Boermeester handled kickoffs in the second half of the season, but he has to win the placekicking job.

--He said one of the reasons he and the staff were able to flip commits is because they are big on team recruiting, which enables them to build good relationships with not only the prospects but their families and coaches.

--He said he embraces USC's tough schedule because the bar is to win Pac-12 and national titles. Facing great competition strengthens USC's resume and prepares it to play another Final Four team if it reaches that point.

--When asked about the competition on the offensive line, he said “the best player plays.” He then pointed to Cam Smith starting as a freshman over Lamar Dawson. "Seniority doesn’t matter," he added.

--He said USC took five receivers because of how many it will lose after this season. (Darreus Rogers, Isaac Whitney and De'Quan Hampton are seniors. JuJu Smith-Schuster and Adoree' Jackson could leave early.)

--He says they are five deep at running back, so he’s obviously including Dom Davis.

--On whether he's intentionally recruiting more dual-threat quarterbacks:
"The quarterback has to be able to throw first. We’re not just looking for the athlete,. You have to be an exceptional thrower. Remember the M.O. of this offense is run, run, run and throw it over your head."

--He said Jalen Greene will practice at QB to some extent in spring.

--On whether there will be any changes to the strength and conditioning program:
"One of the things that we're looking to do, because you have to have a little bit of vision and think a little bit outside the box — between Jan. 1 and training camp, you really only get 15 physical days to work with your players as coaches. So there's a lot of time out there that you need to do some functional movement, football movements, that’s one of the things Ivan (Lewis) is incorporating into our offseason program as we get into March, April, May, June, July, incorporating more football skills. The old day of running 10 miles, or running 100-yar dashes, the biggest thing is change of direction now in football, and doing some things that are more functional movement, motor skills that these kids learn to develop. Not only is it strength but it's agility also."

On AD Pat Haden announcing his retirement:
"I’ve been here six years and I’ve always said that you hope that when you come to a place you leave it better than it was when you first had it. I look at Coach Haden and what he’s done for a place that’s so beloved to him, and the time and the effort and the passion he’s put into it is mind-blowing to me. He’s tried to improve everything of our athletic program. You look at the strides that were making in our basketball program with Andy (Enfield), our baseball program, our track program. Obviously I’m biased because he named me the head football coach and hopefully we’re headed in the right direction, but I look at what he’s done and the passion and the love that he’s put into USC, he guided us through a very, very dark time. People got to remember six years ago when we were under sanctions, to take on that job when he doesn’t have to, to take on that job and say, I got it, I’m going to lead us through sanctions, get us off probation, build not only the football program but the entire athletic department. Not only athletically, but you look at academically, football had the two highest GPA semesters, the past spring and fall semesters. He’s done exceptional things, he’s brought us back into the light, and now it’s our job as coaches and administrators to continue all the work that he’s left here, to get us back to the national championship level. He’s done a tremendous job."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News