ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tee Martin: 'I'm the spotter'

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
It's been an interesting month for Tee Martin who was forced to relinquish play-calling to Clay Helton in late October. I caught up with USC's offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach briefly to see how he's adapted to his new role.

--on what his role has been since forfeiting play-calling duties
“During the week, the same, in terms of Coach, he watches the tape on his own. He’ll come into the offensive staff meeting with his ideas and what he likes and what he sees. I’m there to be eyes as well as ideas. During the week we’re putting together ideas, things we want to do, how we want to attack, things of that nature and then on game day, I’m the spotter, if you will. What’s the down and distance, what hash? And then in between a series, because he flips over to defense, just ideas in terms of what they’re giving him. Ultimately, Coach makes the calls, he calls the game through a feeling of what he feels and what he sees, and then at halftime, we’ll all come together and he’ll lead it in terms of ideas and suggestions. He’ll ask us what we see out there, what they’re giving him, what pressures, what coverages. And then he kind of puts it altogether to call the game.”

--on what’s he’s tried to take from this experience
“I’m learning a whole lot. I really self-scouted as a coordinator. Over the last two-and-a-half years, I looked at myself at how I can be better. Because I know if I have another opportunity, really just looked at myself and how I can be better, new things. At the same time, focusing on this offensive unit and the wide receiver group in particular, making sure those guys are prepared for the game and playing to the best of their ability.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News