ADVERTISEMENT

Theory on defensive woes....

trojan_power

Senior
Gold Member
May 11, 2003
You've heard of the saying "... paralysis by analysis...". I believe that's what is plaguing our defense. Guys are not playing loose and free, or fast, they are overthinking plays and making really dumb mistakes every week. They've become little Grinch robots who can't seem to find the ball or even tackle in open space, plus the missed angles, over-pursuits etc etc . I don't believe for a second we have the 115th worst players on defense. What we have is a near last ranked defense due to a net effect of lack of confidence, instinct, and ability to just execute basic defensive principles. I guarantee if I our guys just played with instinct and athleticism the results would be better. The week after week debacles are PROOF that the players are just not on the same page as Grinch. That is 100% on the coaching. When week after week your defense continues to make the same mistakes that's on the coaches. If I had at least seen weekly improvements I'd be more patient with Grinch but the broken record of mistakes and problems is itself the problem. I really hope in these last 3 games our defense just can at least get out of the robotic/paralyzed mode and at least play with more instinct, aggression and clarity. That will at least give our team a chance to be competitive in our remaining games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.