ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thursday practice notes ...

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Here were the quick highlights from Clay Helton's Thursday comments ...

Injury updates ...

Helton wasn't ready to say linebacker Palaie Gaoteote would definitely play Saturday, even though the sophomore said he was "full-go and ready to go" after practice Wednesday.

"EA got some work today. I think it's going to be more of a game-time decision, but he did get work today and looked good," Helton said. "So we'll see how he's feeling tomorrow after this work and make sure there's no setbacks, so I think it will be more game-time."

As for the rest of the injured players who worked out with the trainers this week -- running back Stephen Carr (hamstring), defensive end Drake Jackson (ankle) and safety Talanoa Hufanga (shoulder) -- Helton kept it vague beyond confirmed that defensive end Christian Rector and cornerback Chris Steele are back, which was already known.

"All the rest of them are listed day-to-day," he said. "I think Christian's definitely back, I think Chris Steele's definitely back. We'll see [on] everybody else, they're going to be day-to-day and really game-time decisions, but EA's probably the next closest one."

Jackson and Carr would be the next two that fans might want to check in on pregame to see if there's any progress between now and kickoff.

Is Oregon the best team USC has played this season?

Oregon comes into this game ranked No. 7/8 in the national polls and has won seven straight since losing to Auburn in its season opener. The Ducks are 5-0 in the Pac-12.

USC has faced two other top-10 teams in Utah (at the time) and Notre Dame, beating the Utes while playing competitive in the loss to the Fighting Irish.

Helton was asked if Oregon was the best team USC has played.

"I haven't faced them. I think they're a really, really good team. You can see why they're ranked in the top 10, but until you play somebody you really don't know," he said. "On tape I've been extremely impressed with their skill people. I think Justin [Herbert] is one of the best quarterbacks in the country. Obviously he's going to be a Day 1 NFL pick. Their running game has been very successful with multiple backs. I think the offensive line has really played really great as a unit. And defensively, the thing that really has stood out to me -- Justin's protecting the ball, 1 interception on the year -- and their DBs have 14 picks. They're plus 13 in that area when the ball's flying in the air. Is this a top-10 team? Yes, it definitely is. We've played two others this season and we'll see how it goes after the game. You can't really tell until you line up against [a team]."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.