ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday Footnotes: Markese Stepp earning a larger role in USC's backfield

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
The USC running game has not been visually impressive this preseason, yet redshirt freshman Markese Stepp has made a major impression nonetheless.

On both the defenders who make initial contact with him and, in a different way, on the Trojans coaching staff.

In fact, running backs coach Mike Jinks and head coach Clay Helton were both asked after practice Tuesday if Stepp is earning a larger role in the offense than he had coming into camp.

"He is. That's a good problem to have. He's special with the ball in his hands, period," Jinks said. "Again, from a protection standpoint we've got to clean some things up and he's worked hard on that. I just, I wouldn't lose a night's sleep if 30 had to play the whole game, how's that?"

Said Helton: "I really think his role is growing and definitely he's going to play this year, he's going to contribute."

None of USC's running backs fared well in the second scrimmage Saturday in the Coliseum. They combined for just 31 rushing yards on 17 carries. Stepp had 9 yards on 5 carries, but he punched in a pair of short touchdowns in those touches. On the second, he pulled linebacker Ralen Goforth with him on his way into the end zone.

While almost nothing with the USC running back picture is clear at this point, this much is -- the 6-foot, 235-pound Stepp simply isn't going down on first contact or usually for at least a few extra yards beyond that point.

"I wouldn't want to tackle him," Helton said.

Said offensive coordinator Graham Harrell: "He's just a load to take down, so when he gets carries he gets a lot of yards especially after the hit or after contact. That gives him confidence and he just continues to improve."

That's the thing. Stepp is climbing while his competitors have stagnated for one reason for another.

RELATED: JT Daniels named USC's starting QB; freshman Kedon Slovis the No. 2

Junior Stephen Carr earned praise from Helton early in camp after making a couple nice moves to create a long run, but the totality of his preseason has not resembled the rusher who showed so much promise two years ago before the injuries took their toll.

Maybe it's still there -- it's far too soon to write him off having already seen that incredible potential displayed on Saturdays. Jinks suggested it may still be a confidence issue for Carr (384 rushing yards, 2 TDs, 4.7 yards per carry in 2018) coming off back-to-back injury-shortened seasons.

"It's getting him game reps and getting him acclimated to playing full speed," he said.

Meanwhile, redshirt junior Vavae Malepeai (501 yards, 8 TDs, 5.4 YPC) has missed most of camp with a sprained knee. He returned to action Tuesday in USC's full-pad practice, getting about half his usual reps.

And from all indications, freshman Kenan Christon seems to still be on the outside of the running back rotation while the staff continues to develop him.

Stepp, who had just 7 carries for 33 yards last fall, has seized whatever openings have been created for him on the depth chart -- even if there haven't been a ton at the line of scrimmage -- to show the coaches how he's progressed.

The common critique heard in the spring was that he still had a ways to go as a pass catcher. He was never asked to do that in high school and was still raw in that way compared to USC's other backs. Stepp has been catching balls after practice since the winter -- and credits Carr and Malepeai for helping him on his approach -- and it's paid off as he's looked smooth in that regard.

So much so that Jinks said, adding a laugh at the end: "I have no concerns about his ability to catch the ball. I don't even know where that came from. I guess it was just that great coaching we had in the spring."

The one area Jinks wants Stepp to continue to improve, as mentioned, is in pass protection. He understands that.

"That's something I really want to work on. I'm still trying to improve in that area because I want to be on the field every down," Stepp said.

With the way USC has struggled to open up rushing lanes this preseason, there's an argument to be made that Stepp might be the most effective option with his hard-nosed, pile-moving style.

What isn't clear yet is just how often USC will actually run the ball. For all of Helton's talk about how important the run game is in Harrell's system, it's now clear that this is indeed a pass-dominant offense as most expected.

Jinks essentially acknowledged that Tuesday when asked about the rushing struggles in the last scrimmage.

"Well, if we line up and we play a football team that's going to play a 7, sometimes 8-man box, that's what it's going to look like," he said candidly. "I don't think it's going to take very long with some of these -- again, we've got to go make these plays, but I've got a feeling that we've got some guys outside that might be able to make a play or two, and if they're able to do that you'll see the boxes change. And then we'll run it when you're supposed to run it. We're not going to force anything, and that's kind of the beauty of this offense."

At the same time, he says he's confident the Trojans will have the ability to close out leads on the ground when that time comes. That remains to be seen.

As for the running back usage, Jinks reiterated this offense will rely on three-down backs who can stay in for the bulk or all of a series to maintain the pace of the offense. But from one series to the next, it's not yet known -- perhaps even by Jinks and the staff -- how those opportunities will be shared. He reiterated that he believes in all three of his older backs to get the job done when called upon.

"Again, it will depend on how they're feeling. Probably earlier on in the year you'll probably see it a little bit more, and once they play themselves into shape, and if one of these guys establishes themselves as the guy he'll get his opportunity," he said.

It indeed sounds like the Trojans are headed for a rotation early on.

Stepp has at the least inserted himself in that conversation -- loudly -- and it wouldn't be a surprise at all if his second-year ascent includes a rise up the depth chart over the coming months.

NOTES:

-Now that USC is out of camp mode and into game prep, practices are closed to reporters after the first 20 minutes.

-As mentioned, Malepeai has returned to action after missing most of camp with a knee sprain.

"We were protective with him yesterday. He got about half the reps today that he normally gets. We're easing him back into it. We want to make sure that he's completely comfortable," Helton said. "And he is -- he's fighting for more. But we're being really careful with him right now. He'll get more tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and he looked really healthy today."

Said Jinks: "[Vae] is a special football player. The biggest thing about Vae is just the positive energy he brings. Not just to the running back room, but to our whole football team. Great having him back and we've got to get him ready to go."

-Sophomore wide receiver Devon Williams, who was one of the stars of USC's scrimmage Saturday, did not practice due to a quad contusion. Helton said he's day to day and is hopeful for a return later this week.

-Other inactives Tuesday: RB Quincy Jountti, WR Kyle Ford (being eased in after return from ACL surgery), TE Ethan Rae (ditto), LB Eli'jah Winston (turf toe), OLB Abdul-Malik McClain, CB Max Williams (hamstring), DL Jacob Lichtenstein (calf).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.