ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday Footnotes: 'That's the hardest step to take'

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Here's the news from Tuesday's practice:

Coach Clay Helton said he plans to meet with draft-eligible players who are considering turning pro after the Notre Dame game. Looking at the roster, there aren't many that fall into this category. I caught up with two of them -- WR Michael Pittman, who said he's preparing to return, and WR Tyler Vaughns.

"I haven't really looked into it," Vaughns said. "I'll just wait until after the season. I'm not focused on that. I'm just focused on us and finishing strong and beating Notre Dame."

The redshirt sophomore indicated that how he's ultimately projected would be the biggest determining factor.

"I'm always confident in my game," he said. "It's not about me and my confidence. It's about whoever's trying to draft me or scouting me. It's just like college and high school. It's not up to me. It's up to everybody else."

I asked Helton how QB JT Daniels could improve most moving forward and he said Daniels is planning to focus on core strength, footwork in the pocket, and throwing on the run. Helton then said Daniels has made strides in his post-snap reads -- i.e. not being so decisive before the snap but instead diagnosing what the defense is actually doing. (I understood this inclusion to mean it's another area in which Daniels needs to improve in most.)

"That's the hardest step to take," Helton said of pre- versus post-snap reads. "I cannot wait to get him to [another] training camp."

Injuries:
WR Michael Pittman, QB Matt Fink, DL Jacob Lichtenstein (shoulder), DL Jay Tufele (foot/ankle), LB John Houston (hamstring), TB Aca'Cedric Ware (shoulder), TE Josh Falo (knee), WR Trevon Sidney (illness) and OG Alijah Vera-Tucker (knee) were either limited or held out of practice.

OT Chuma Edoga (knee), who has sat out the past two games, returned to practice.

CB Greg Johnson will have shoulder surgery and is out for the remainder of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News