ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wednesday Footnotes: 'He can fit these runs in his sleep'

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Senior middle linebacker Cam Smith felt physically he probably could have played last Saturday, but having not gotten any reps in practice he concurred it was more prudent to push his full return back another week.

Now having missed most of the last three games (with only a brief early appearance in the loss at Utah) -- games that have not gone well at all for the Trojans defense -- Smith is eager to get off the sidelines and back into the action this Saturday at Oregon State.

"Absolutely. It's been a long time since I've missed a game, since freshman year, and before that never," he said after practice Wednesday. "So it hurts, but I'm happy to be where I'm at right now. I think it was a smart decision, and I'm ready to go."

He clarified that the only injury of concern during that time was his nagging hamstring strain -- not the knee, from which he had fluid drained.

Smith did go through a pretty involved pregame workout on the field in the Coliseum last Saturday before watching the Trojans' 38-35 loss to Arizona State. He's also been doing extra running during breaks in practice to maximize his preparedness this week.

"I just wanted a full week. I think I could have played last week on Saturday, but I didn't get any reps and I just think you can't manipulate the movements you see in games and you feel in games [without reps] in practice, or during a workout," he said. "I just wanted a full week of football movements. ... Like I said, I think it was the right move and I feel really good right now."

Without him, the Trojans gave up 79 points and 990 yards of offense over the last two weeks to Utah and Arizona State.

Defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, who defers all injury updates to head coach Clay Helton, was still speaking in the hypothetical of "when" Smith returns, but he believes the senior captain will have an impact across the Trojans' beleaguered defense.

"He can fit these runs in his sleep, so I would feel a lot better how the runs are going to be fit with a guy that's been a three-year starter in this system," Pendergast said. "So getting him back and just the comfort level of everybody out there -- now John Houston doesn't have to call the huddle, John can focus more on playing his own position. But having him back is obviously going to be good for everybody when it's time."

Said Helton: "Obviously, with the experience that Cam has, he was able to do a lot of the checks that we need -- formationally. ... He's able to get us in the right defense so we'll be able to call off a pressure, check the checker whenever's needed. He's the quarterback, and anytime that you have that quarterback of that defense leave you a couple weeks, it's different."

'EA' back to the second-team

While Smith was sidelined, freshman Palaie Gaoteote gave the Trojans a glimpse of the future at that position, and it was mostly impressive with 21 tackles and 3 tackles for loss in that span. He wasn't perfect last week against Arizona State, but the argument could certainly be made that he has shown himself to be one of USC's 11 best defensive players.

But Pendergast said he won't look to play Gaoteote elsewhere with Smith back in that spot.

"No, he's going to stay in that one spot, middle linebacker," he said. "That's where he's going to play with us in the future and the rest of the season. The more he can stay right there and train in that triangle, the more productive he's going to be."

It was also telling that while Houston rested his injured ankle for a stretch near the end of practice, senior Reuben Peters played in the other inside linebacker spot with the first-team defense.

As for Houston, who had his left ankle wrapped up, Helton didn't seem concerned about his availability for Saturday.

"He's getting the reps he needs. We're pulling him from some special teams segments and out of the contact periods, just getting him ready for Saturday not really knowing where Levi [Jones] is at right now," Helton said. "Hopefully going to get Levi back by Saturday, but just trying to lower his rep count a little bit."

Plans at safety

Helton has not made a definitive statement on the status of senior safety Marvell Tell, who missed the last game with stingers in his neck, but Tell continues to practice with the first team while Ajene Harris works at the other safety spot.

Harris moved from nickel to fill Tell's void at free safety last week, with Jonathan Lockett stepping in at nickel for his most extensive action of the season.

With freshman safety Talanoa Hufanga (broken collarbone) now out, it looks like the Trojans are content to stick with Harris as the other safety along with Tell, presuming he plays.

Pendergast didn't confirm that when asked about the position, though.

"We'll keep working through that the rest of the week," he said. "Obviously Ajene's gotten some reps there. C.J. Pollard's another guy, Jordan McMillan, who's a walk-on you guys don't know a lot about -- I'm learning more about him lately just because he's been over there with us more. But those are who we've got left, that's who we've got out there and we'll put the best 11 guys out there we feel gives us the best chance to win."

More on the OL shake-up

Helton reiterated that longtime NFL offensive lineman Mike Goff, who had been working as a graduate assistant for the program, will finish out the season as the interim 10th assistant coach assisting Tim Drevno in his new OL coaching duties.

"The biggest thing for me that I want to see moving forward over the next four weeks is just the technique and fundamentals part of it," Helton said of his OL hopes in the wake of dismissing position coach Neil Callaway. "I'm happy to be able to have the experience with Coach Drevno and Mike, Coach Goff, to be able to have two sets of eyes and be able to help a young group ....

"We've got some younger kids that I hope really over the next month, this is our opportunity to really focus on fundamentals and techniques and that's what I asked Drev and Mike to do, not only with the young guys but really the old guys. I asked Chuma [Edoga] the other day, he goes, 'Man, coach, really cool to have two guys on us at all times.'"

Helton wouldn't confirm if he plans for Drevno, who started the season as the running backs coach, to remain the OL coach into 2019 if this staff is retained. Drevno was USC's OL coach in 2014 and has coached that position throughout his career.

"Right now we're just getting through this season and then I'll evaluate everything," Helton said. "But obviously Drev and I have had that comfort level before, just being honest with everybody, that he can do it -- there's no question in my mind. I'm going to fit all the pieces to the puzzle together after the season. I just want to focus right now on our team and getting ready not only for a great November and a bowl game, but be able to do our best for this team. And then we'll see what's the best fit for us after."

No 'No pads November'

Finally, Helton was asked if he'd have the Trojans go without full pads in practice through November.

The answer is no.

"That's something our seniors want this time around," he said. "They wanted a sense of urgency, to have a great November and I commend them, I really do. They want to leave their legacy. They want to show young people exactly how you treat a November and how you practice."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.