ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wednesday Footnotes: USC seeking 'balance and flow' on offense

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
News from Wednesday’s closed practice:

Left tackle Austin Jackson returned to practice after being sidelined Tuesday because of illness.

Coach Clay Helton said TB Aca'Cedric Ware "looked better today." Ware has been dealing with knee pain for the past two weeks and it flared up earlier this week.

DL Malik Dorton (quad) is also trending up.

"It was the smallest injury report we've had of any week," Helton said.

He disagreed with the assertion that the offensive line is not playing with enough physicality, chalking up the unit's struggles against Texas to missed assignments and getting beat on the edges by speed. He said the O-line played with confusion.

"I think the primary concern for us offensively is to be able to create balance and rhythm, just be able to get in a flow and get both aspects working," Helton said. "I think those are the two words for me: balance and flow."

Helton said Washington State's defensive system under new coordinator Tracy Claeys is similar to that of former Cougars DC Alex Grinch, who left for Ohio State after last season. The Cougars were effective in bringing pressure inside last year against USC. He said it's how Texas also attacked the Trojans' offense.

Helton suggested Tee Martin had a perfect play call during a goal-line situation versus Texas but it was spoiled the signal not being recognized. I believe he's referring to fourth-and-goal from the 1, a toss to Stephen Carr that went for a loss of 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News