ADVERTISEMENT

What I've been told about Julius Irvin (12/18)

Chris Swanson

War Daddy
Jun 20, 2013
I spoke to another relative of Julius Irvin's today who wished to remain off the record.

Here's what he said the latest on the Rivals100 DB is:

"My gathering is that he doesn't really feel that USC wanted him. I think he was recruited more heavily by Notre Dame and Washington out of his top three. I don't think he feels that USC was really interested in him. I don't know if that's going to correlate to him choosing someone else or if he's going to stick with what he always wanted to do which is play at USC. So I don't know. He wanted to take an official visit to USC and they wanted him to take it in January. So I think he felt slighted maybe."

Irvin had planned to sign early but it seemed the USC coaches wanted him to sign after the early period. The result is that Irvin will sign early anyway. Maybe it will be USC, maybe it won't.

"He's going to sign early, he's going to be signing on Wednesday and I know in the beginning, USC wanted him to sign in February but since then they said, okay, you can sign early. He just didn't understand why there was such a problem with him signing early. Maybe he took that as if the team didn't really want him. He didn't get a home visit from the head coach. So I don't know, I don't know how USC does it's recruiting. He wasn't really given the opportunity to take an official visit before the signing date. So I'm not sure how he takes it. He makes a decision tomorrow."

In addition to being told that Julius Irvin had always dreamed of playing at USC, I was also told that his father, Leroy Irvin, is a "huge" USC fan. Yes, despite the fact that Irvin played college football at Kansas, he adopted USC football as he became a Southern California resident and a Rams Pro Bowler.

I changed my prediction on Irvin because of this news. I was told earlier he was very much into USC and pretty much locked into a commitment with the Trojans. But after hearing this news, I have a hard time believing he'll commit to USC.

We'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: MammaTina
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News