ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Point : Libertarians and the Constitution.

MPA1988

War Daddy
Jan 27, 2010
Lufkin, Texas
The Constitution was to limit the role of the state (i.e., the federal government) to society's most basic needs, like a legislature to pass laws, a court system to interpret them, and a military to protect them. The founding fathers believed in carefully delineated federal powers (limited) but in a more powerful central government than libertarians purport to believe in. Therefore, libertarianism is in conflict with our Nation's founding, and is just like leftist ideology to the extent both advocate "a Constitution" counter to the original intent of our founding fathers. The leftists advocate more central government, and the libertarians less, both of which result in less liberty for the individual. Too much = less, and too little central government = anarchial chaos with unbridled liberty. The social order is made up of many individual self-interests, and thus some central power is required. Lastly, this brings me to the Articles of Confederation. If ever there was a libertarian document it was the Articles of Confederation since there was no national power to tax, and no laws to govern interstate behavior. It was in fact, a disaster and it was recognized as such by the majority of the country which was why the Constitution was eventually ratified. The real life experience and applicatiom of this truly libertarian document called the Articles of Confederation explains the failure of libertarianism. Have a good day and Happy 4th of July which I must admit is getting harder to celebrate with each passing year.

This post was edited on 7/3 11:08 AM by MPA1988

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News