ADVERTISEMENT

Football Day 9 Footnotes: USC's O-line will 'set the tone for the offense'

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Graham Harrell hasn’t been shy about privately or publicly stating his desire to increase USC’s offensive tempo. It’s been an unforgiving adjustment at times for all involved.

Yet through 12 days of training camp, Harrell said the offensive line looks to be up to speed.

“They’ve played at good tempo, which is something we’ve stressed," he said. "I think it helps them execute at a higher level. That’s kind of a badge of honor for them. We’re going to play with tempo and we’re going to be in better shape than whoever we’re playing against. I think the O-line’s really taken that on.”

The Trojans’ four quarterbacks had mostly clean pockets to operate in during this past Saturday’s extended scrimmage. While running lanes might not have been abundant, Harrell said they were there in critical moments.

“To me, you’re a good run team if you can run the ball when you have to run the ball, and we did a good job of that,” he said.

One of the prevailing narratives surrounding the Air Raid is that it neutralizes the significance of the offensive line. USC’s new offensive coordinator doesn’t subscribe to that theory, however. Because his scheme involves more running than other versions, he views the O-line as the X factor for the entire offense.

For the Trojans, the most maligned unit of 2018 might be the last (but not least) piece of an explosive puzzle in 2019.

“When you’re talented at the skill positions, if you can be good up front, you have the chance to really be special,” Harrell said. “We always preach that everything revolves around those guys. If you can’t protect, if you’re not good up front, it doesn’t really matter what you have outside of them. You’re not going to be as successful. Those guys have taken it on that they’re going to set the tone for the offense.”

Harrell also highlighted the group’s blend of size and athleticism, while OL coach Tim Drevno Drevno felt like communication has improved since spring. Continuity has surely helped.

Since left tackle Austin Jackson returned early last week, the starting five has featured the same crew -- until Tuesday. Right tackle Jalen McKenzie practiced at right guard with the first team in place of Andrew Vorhees, and Drew Richmond worked at right tackle. Drevno summed it up afterward as merely “cross-training.”

The coming days should tell us whether any change is brewing within. The coming weeks will reveal how much actually has.

HIGHLIGHTS

“I’m coming back! I’m coming back for you!”

That’s how 11-on-11 opened on what fittingly proved to be an unremarkable day for the USC offense. Stephen Carr fumbled the opening carry and came out of the pile without a helmet but a lot of anger.

"Don't trip!" Carr repeated at the defense.

Ironically, Harrell later noted the offense lacked energy Tuesday, which seemingly hasn’t been an issue in camp. It’s a bit surprising given that the players were in full pads for the first time since Saturday, and that typically brings out their best effort.

Carr’s next carry, by the way, went for a short gain thanks to a good tackle from Juliano Falaniko. Markese Stepp relieved him and quickly broke outside for a 15-yard run.

Here were some of the other highlights from 11-on-11:

Isaac Taylor-Stuart picked off JT Daniels, whose pass deflected off of Amon-Ra St. Brown’s hands.

Devon Williams had a diving catch on a throw to the far sideline from Matt Fink. Williams was sidelined briefly by it but returned.

Isaiah Pola-Mao sacked Jack Sears.

Kedon Slovis connected with Velus Jones for about 50 yards on a bomb. Perfect throw from Slovis, more great work from Velus. He’s made a lot of plays this camp. Maybe I’m sleeping on him.

Slovis, who’s run a bit hot and cold this camp, had it going today. He completed a pass outside to Michael Pittman and then five in a row, including a long TD to a wide open St. Brown.

Daniels came in and threw wide of Williams on a quick slant. Throw wasn’t great, but I think Williams needed to make that play with a small DB on him. Got his hand on it. Daniels then targeted Jude Wolfe and it went through the freshman tight end’s hands.

Palaie Gaoteote tackled Stepp for a loss.

Chris Steele broke up a fade in the end zone to Pittman from Fink. Some called for PI, but I think because Steele is developing a reputation for it. He was called for one earlier in practice and got away with one soon after. This play, however, was clean. He positioned himself well and batted it away.

Sears found Velus on a medium cross and Velus took it to the house.

Drake Jackson sacked Daniels, who’s had better days. Daniels then hit Drake London short, and the freshman wideout turned it into a long gain. The receivers have been really good after the catch this summer.

Not much on the news front. DT Brandon Pili and TB Vavae Malepeai remained out. CB Max Williams was fully dressed but continued working with the rehab group.

Raymond Scott, who has been practicing in various spots in the secondary in 2019, worked at inside linebacker in the wake of injuries to Jordan Iosefa and Eli'jah Winston.

Reactions: trojanzfreak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News