ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day gratitude

JRowland

May 29, 2001
I'm always hesitant to say "Happy Memorial Day," because although we are much happier today because of the supreme sacrifice so many servicemen and women have made, it's bittersweet for so many families that have been touched by loss. So I'm filled with gratitude on this Memorial Day, as always, both to those who died, also to those who have fought, and to all those who have had a hand in shaping America's heroes. Also, thoughts and prayers today are with those families, especially wives, children and parents, who have experienced the pain of loss and know well that even the knowledge that their loved one is a hero, the difficulty isn't diminished.

People from every profession and walk of life contribute to our country's greatness but few, relatively speaking, have been asked to sacrifice their very lives for others. Volunteer or draftee, I'm grateful for everyone who answered their country's call.

memorial-day2-1.jpg

Well stated, JR. Thank you.

Many view this day through a distant lens, while others like myself and millions of others have a much closer view of the casualties of war.

Brown_Barry_Edward_DOB_19491.jpg

Reactions: BRYKURTAY
Thank You JR and thank you men like Jerry Bed.

Lets not forget those men and women currently serving on foriegn soil and those that are out pushing patrol cars and fire engines. I am grateful to have served on foriegn soil, and honored to serve with true heroes.

Thank God for the committed men and women who woke up today and proudly continue to keep my family and friends safe.

Fight On!!

Reactions: ph17taffy
Well stated, JR. Thank you.

Many view this day through a distant lens, while others like myself and millions of others have a much closer view of the casualties of war.

Brown_Barry_Edward_DOB_19491.jpg
Nice touch Jerry.✌
Memories are all we have,to remind us of those who sacrificed their lives for us to enjoy what we have today.
My father; World War 2 & Korean War/ Purple Heart.
First Sargenent,never wanted to be promoted to Lieutenant,he loved the grit.
Every Soul we HONOR today is a Honorary Trojan.......... because they gave their lives by FIGHTING ON✌

I'm always hesitant to say "Happy Memorial Day," because although we are much happier today because of the supreme sacrifice so many servicemen and women have made, it's bittersweet for so many families that have been touched by loss. So I'm filled with gratitude on this Memorial Day, as always, both to those who died, also to those who have fought, and to all those who have had a hand in shaping America's heroes. Also, thoughts and prayers today are with those families, especially wives, children and parents, who have experienced the pain of loss and know well that even the knowledge that their loved one is a hero, the difficulty isn't diminished.

People from every profession and walk of life contribute to our country's greatness but few, relatively speaking, have been asked to sacrifice their very lives for others. Volunteer or draftee, I'm grateful for everyone who answered their country's call.

What a hell of a post. Wow!!!

Went to a memorial day service yesterday, i live in a town of approx 38,000. the service lasted about an hour.
the total attendance was probably 100 people, mostly middle age adults, a few older veterans around 60-80 year old .
i saw 2-3 teen-agers and 2 kids about 8-10 yr old.

it was sad to see the lack of attendance to show the respect to those who have sacrificed so much to this country.

makes me wonder if the parents and schools dont teach the importance of this special day.

a lot of people have lost their lives to provide the liberty that so many take for granted...

my .02c

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT