ADVERTISEMENT

Quick hits from Saturday

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
USC practiced for another two hours-plus today. Team was in shoulder pads for the first time.

The workout looked a bit sluggish but picked up near the end.

The holes on the offensive line were noticeably bigger. As has been said before, the O-line typically performs better when in pads.

Kevon Seymour had a huge day today. Best I've seen from him in a USC uniform.

The highlight was an INT on a jump ball with JuJu Smith in the end zone during 7-on-7s. He had two other pass break-ups while defending Smith.

It wasn't the best day for Smith, who had a few drops as well. I wonder if his thumb, which he injured over the winter, is bothering him. I didn't catch him after practice because I was talking to Su'a Cravens but I'll look to interview him Tuesday.

Smith finished strong, scoring a touchdown with a long run after the catch in the best-of-five period. He also beat Seymour for a TD earlier.

Darreus Rogers made the catch of the day, a fantastic leaping grab over Ryan Dillard on a sideline pass from Max Browne.

Steven Mitchell caught a nice deep ball from Cody Kessler.

Kessler later threw a perfect pass to Smith, fitting it into a tight window, but Smith dropped it.

The second team recorded a pair of coverage sacks on Browne. The second team did not fare well in red zone either, stalled in large part by back-to-back drops.

Aaron Minor had a nice catch on a pass down the sideline.

Antwaun Woods remained very involved in team periods, encouraging teammates between plays. I point that out because the injured players are typically off to the side and observing quietly. Woods looks to be taking a leadership role, especially with the defense.

Some notes on lineups:

Sark said the kicking competition between Matt Boermeester and Alex Wood is open. I'd be surprised if Boermeester didn't win. He has a much bigger leg.

Isaac Whitney got most of his run with the second team. He has some cleaning up to do in terms of route running.

Toa Lobendahn again got some run at center with the first team, with Nico Falah at LT.

The second team O-line often included Falah, Brown, Rodgers, Simmons and Edoga. Simmons got the best of Pelon in 1-on-1s.

Chris Hawkins took some reps with the first team at cornerback during 11-on-11s. Jonathan Lockett reclaimed the spot for the red zone period.

Some final observations:

Soma Vainuku got a lot of carries today. Looked like they gave Justin Davis a breather. Vainuku runs hard. Having been a tailback in high school, he knows what he's doing.

Ajene Harris has been getting reps but not many targets.

Matt Lopes made a great play to pick off Ricky Town and return it for a touchdown.

The offense won the best-of-five to conclude practice. Claude Pelon shrewdly got his hands up to tip a pass at the line. Seymour had a PBU as well. But walk-on tight end Connor Spears caught a touchdown over the middle to give the offense its third point.

Fall enrollees Marvell Tell, Ykili Ross and Caleb Wilson were in attendance, as well as KJ Costello and CJ Pollard.

Adoree' Jackson was not present. Sark said he had to attend a funeral.

We got another no comment from Sark on Bryce Dixon. As we've reported, the players have been informed he will be out for spring.

Sark said USC will "more than likely" be in full pads on Tuesday. That practice is at the Coliseum but is closed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News