ADVERTISEMENT

8 Team playoff

frpgtp

Senior
Jan 20, 2005
I know everyone has probably read many articles about the possible expansion down the road-aside from the obvious financial gains I was wondering the board's thoughts.
  • Expansion probably brings a Boise State back in assuming a good year-slot 5.
  • That would leave 3 slots-gets Big 12 off the hook for both expansion and championship game, so there is probably slot 6
  • So now with 2 slots left you have 5 teams-championship losers and Big 12 number two-to choose from. You try to seed it so that the losers hopefully don't meet up with their league champ unless they reach the final. (Rematches) This is really the same now though as more teams are trying to play these neutral site early season games-but the odds are greater thru the playoff format.
  • I suppose the "bragging rights" of a league saying our runner up beat your champ are there.
  • Question of whether TCU or Baylor could have won the whole thing is moot-Bubba State is quieted

If it stays four-at least for now:
  • Don't think the committee picks 2 from a league-no rematches
  • No Boise States get a sniff
  • Bubba's continue the possibility of getting shut out (a good thing)
  • League championship games act as 1st round playoffs(so the tournament is in a sense at least an 8 team deal) Save for the Bubba's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News