ADVERTISEMENT

All you need to know about Clay Helton occurred during this exchange.

USCBalto

Alumni
Feb 6, 2013
A reporter known for soft ball questions asked Clay at the early signing day presser how the plan modeled on ND ‘16 was going and whether he was going to replace most of the coaches like ND did?

Upon hearing the question, Clay looked aghast and said “no, no, not at all.” As if the thought of replacing more than a couple coaches was abhorrent to him.

That in a nutshell is all the evidence you will ever need. That reaction.

Not saying he should say “yes we are cleaning house.” But if you introduce the plan as Helton and Swann did as “we have significant coaching and culture, etc. problems” and analogize to the situation of ND in ‘16, then you at a minimum say you are considering additional changes.

We are going into next year with almost no changes now that Kliff is gone. Superficial changes. A new DL coach. A new DB coach. And in theory a new OC coach tho the odds Drevno or someone gets it are still there. The culture ain’t changing.

That’s the open and shut case on Helton right there. Or as my buddy put it more abrasively regarding Clay’s aghast response to the suggestion Usc actually do what ND did rather than just pay it lip service, “Clay Helton is such a pearl clutching pussy. He’s in the wrong profession. Should be leading a prayer circle not a football huddle.”

I know the majority here do not want Clay Helton as their head coach. I know many don’t believe anything we say here matters because because it won’t make a difference. But there are still a few that seem completely and probably willfully ignorant to the fact that this Helton thing won’t ever ever ever succeed here. That the longer he’s here the harder it will be to ever ride back to national prominence. That as USC sinks farther to the bottom of the ocean, the more difficult it will be to retrieve it.

USC is ranked 8th in the Pac 12 in a preseason ranking for 2019. Eighth. In the worst power five conference in America. USC. The house that Jones and McKay and Robinson and Carroll built. We have the 2nd hardest schedule in America. Finished losing 4 of 5 beating only Oregon State. Losing to a two loss UCLA. Finishing 5-7. Next year will be as bad if not worse.

And our head coach talks as if we just lost a couple close games at the end. And when asked about drastic changes is shocked and taken aback. “Remove my friends en masses from the staff?” That is too significant a disconnect to ignore. That’s is too clueless or ignorant or unintelligent to be making $4 million a year, guiding the talents and earning potential of some of America’s most talented young football players lured by the prestige of USC.

If you follow Usc football passionately enough to pay $120 a year or more to be part of a private messageboard, then you see this is a code red situation. Banners and signs not your thing? Fine. Write an email. Send a letter. Whatever. Swann and the USC administration exist in a protective bubble. Swann was reportedly shocked by the backlash to his decision to retain Helton. He needs to know. And he needs to go. And Helton too, of course. I’m not trying to incite a mob here. But the status quo is untenable. And just hoping these people stumble onto the right decision has been what we’ve all done for 10+ years. How’s that going? Maybe it’s time to do things a bit differently. Ideas?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News