ADVERTISEMENT

Football Clay Helton Sunday media conference call ...

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Here were Clay Helton's comments on his Sunday media call:

Opening comments ...

"Two weeks ago we make the five or six plays that beat a good Utah team, and then yesterday we got in on the short end of the stick on those five or six plays and didn't make them. I felt going into the game that the team that won the turnover margin would win the game, and that ended up being, after watching the tape, the difference in the game was our turnover margin being 3-1 and red zone efficiency, which we had been very good at in previous games, not getting it done inside the 10-yard line. For our staff and our players getting on the plane last night, we felt like we left an opportunity out there. It's something that I know this team will grow from, over the last two weeks playing two good teams and living and learning both from success and failure, we're going to get better from [it]. I still believe in this team wholeheartedly. They play hard, they play with a lot of heart and I walked on that plane last night even more confident that this is a team that can win the conference.

"This is an off week for us, and it's going to give us an opportunity to get a couple things done. One, to get healthy with some of our players that are injured. Two, get some early prep for Notre Dame. Three, get some extra fundamental work for our younger players. And then, four, have the opportunity as a staff to go out later in the week to be able to catch high school football games and recruit."

On his expectation/optimism for Kedon Slovis' status vs. Notre Dame ...

"Really can't tell you that until I'll talk to the medical staff and give you more updates on Tuesday. But currently right now, he is not medically cleared."

On whether he's thinks about what might have been different overall if not for the injuries to QBs JT Daniels and Kedon Slovis ...

"In both losses I look at the turnovers, and last night was critical when you look at that first half, and not only the first turnover that I think gave them the ball at the 35, but then we're pinned deep and have to punt and they return a ball to the 38-yard line. So two drives came with drive starts from the 35 and 38, and then we have a turnover going in in that second half that I really thought was going to provide some momentum. We have a great drive and get down to the 10 and then have a turnover there, those have been the critical difference between us winning and losing -- has been the turnovers when you look at both losses. It's something that a young team will grow from and learn from. I think the last two weeks are great learning lessons that we'll show. I can't wait to show not only the Utah film again but this film from yesterday and show the difference in the two games and what's important, especially when you're going to be playing some really talented teams down the stretch here and having a chance to win and compete for a conference championship. It's going to be those 5-6 plays and those turnovers, whether getting them or securing the ball, that will make the difference."

On being -7 in the turnover margin this season and how to fix it ...

"Well, one is just young quarterbacks, guys that are getting their first experience at a high level. You know, you look at two games, we've had three interceptions in the BYU game, three interceptions yesterday, and just some guys who are getting their first experience and growing from it. Anytime that we've got some very talented quarterbacks and kids we believe in and that we trust, and that we will continue to trust, and they're learning and they'll learn how important decision-making is and being able to throw the ball away or being able to pull down and run with your legs, be able to know that if it's gray with RPOs be able to hand it to a good back. Those are all learning lessons. I've told our quarterbacks that, every experience is going to make you a better player -- whether it's success or failure. Take each and every one in because it's going to allow you to grow.

"I watched how hard Matt played yesterday with so much heart and so much grit and you could tell walking off that field how much USC and this team of brothers means to that kid. He gave his whole heart and soul in preparation for yesterday and it hurt him not to come out with a victory. But he will learn from it just like Kedon will earn from BYU and they will both become better players for it."

On those aforementioned swing plays deciding these games, is the message that you're basically there or do you approach it from we need to attack these things more fundamentally and make changes ...

"We just played two really good football teams, two top 25 football teams and we beat a top-10 team. Like I said, I thought we had an opportunity to come out and get a win in Seattle, Wash., which is hard and we let it slip through our fingers with mistakes that we made. And that's what I want to be able to be brutally honest -- we call it Tell The Truth Monday -- be able to watch the film and say, 'Hey guys, here's the errors that were made and it's us, it's self-inflicted. If we clean this up over this bye week we've got an opportunity over a seven-week run to do something really special, and it starts right off the bat going to South Bend and playing a good Notre Dame team.' So this bye week couldn't come at a better team for us. One, like I said, just to be able to get healthy and a little prep for Notre Dame, but two, to correct some errors and to learn lessons for some younger kids -- whether it's fundamentally, whether it's assignment-wise, clean everything up because we go seven weeks in a row and have the opportunity to do something special down the stretch here."

Reactions: Kylerkeener
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News