ADVERTISEMENT

Football Clay Helton taking over play-calling duties, Neil Callaway out as OL coach

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
A day after saying he'd evaluate any potential need for changes after the season, USC head coach Clay Helton reversed course as the program announced Monday that Helton will take over play-calling duties and that offensive line coach Neil Callaway has been relieved of his duties.

Tee Martin will retain the title of offensive coordinator, assisting with the weekly organization of practice and game plans and assisting on game days, the press release stated. He will also continue as the Trojans' wide receivers coach.

Tim Drevno, who has been the team's running backs coach this season, will take over the offensive line while continuing to coach the running backs with assistance from USC's offensive graduate assistants. Drevno coached the USC offensive line in 2014 in a previous stint with the program before spending 2015-17 as Michigan's offensive coordinator and OL coach.

“I felt it was an appropriate time to become more involved in the offense as we continue to develop our team for the future,” Helton said in a statement. “Tee and I have had conversations about this decision and he was supportive. He has done a tremendous job here. He will stay involved with the offense as he remains the offensive coordinator, helps put together our practice and game plans and serves as my offensive eyes during games.

“I want to thank Neil for all his hard work at USC. He is an outstanding coach and a great friend. I wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

USC ranks 102nd nationally in total offense at 364.1 yards per game, 115th in rushing offense (120.9 YPG) and tied for 81st in scoring (27.1 point per game).

The offensive line has been a target of ire for fans all season for myriad reasons, including issues in run blocking for much of the season, troubles in protection at times and persistent struggles snapping the ball cleanly.

Helton had been asked during his Sunday conference call with reporters if it was time to consider changes, after a 38-35 loss to Arizona State dropped the Trojans to 4-4 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-12.

"You know, I think we're really close. We lost a close battle [with] depleted personnel, and right now I'm focusing on this game, how we get better this game. And when we get done with these last four games, I'll evaluate everything and see what we need to do," he said at the time. "But right now I'm more focused on trying to defeat Oregon State and helping our football team beat Oregon State."

Either he was not yet ready to announce the changes in progress, or his mind was swayed between 6 p.m. Sunday and Monday afternoon.

Helton has said before that he meets with USC athletic director Lynn Swann on Mondays, which may not be a coincidence.

Either way, Helton has acknowledged publicly for the first time during this wayward season that his program needed change. In so doing, he's put fixing the Trojans' offensive woes squarely on his back the rest of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News