ADVERTISEMENT

Football Clay Helton's Thursday comments on his job status, Mike Bohn, etc.

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Here were Clay Helton's comments pertaining to his job status, Mike Bohn, etc. ..

On what he feels he's proven or shown down the stretch ..
"I'm a guy that lives in the moment and right now the moment is UCLA. That's all I'm focused on. Am I proud of a football team … you always hope as a football coach that from Day 1 to the end of the year your team improves, and I've watched this team improve. I'm proud of our coaches for the way they've developed young people and to watch them play. What the future holds, that's for smarter men than me. My job is to go out there, compete like Hell against UCLA, try to get the Victory Bell back on campus and worry about the moment. And the moment is, the focus is UCLA. This game is hard enough to worry about anything outside."

On his relationship with Mike Bohn ...
"He's been phenomenal to be honest with you. I love his energy, I love his enthusiasm, I love his commitment to the student-athlete. And I love the support he's given me. He didn't know me coming in, and coming in and being in the team meetings and being able to say, 'We're proud of you, keep it going.' Being at practice. We had a bunch of former players out there today, he came out to the field, he's hanging out with us. He feels like one of us, and it's been really neat to see. Everything going on on campus is a transition, and anytime you have transition there's change. And for Mike to come in and just hit the ground running and be so receptive to everybody, including myself, the staff, our players, all 21 sports, I think he's doing a wonderful job. He has big visions for this place, and I'm glad that he's here. He's a guy that's going to do a wonderful job for this university."

On whether Bohn has communicated to him when they will meet to discuss his future ...
"We've stayed in the moment, to be honest with you. We've just focused each and every week on the opponent. That's what we've discussed, all our discussions have been about this particular week, what needs to go on. We've got a big game, we've got a big recruiting weekend. Those are things that we're focusing on right now. For us, I think you've got to live in the moment and put your best foot forward, so we haven't gotten into those discussions. It's been about doing what's right for our players. It's not about me. It's not about him. Right now it's about our players and helping them go to win a big game and hopefully a championship."

On how often he's met with Bohn since the new AD arrived ...
"I've visited with Mike multiple times in the week, all three weeks we've sat down and visited. He stops by, I stop by his office. It's a really good working relationship. He's an open person, he's an open-door policy and he's been nothing but supportive. I couldn't have asked for anything more in this situation. It's not the easiest of situations and he's made it extremely comfortable, extremely welcoming and extremely supportive of our team. And that's all I can ask for as a head coach.:

Reactions: sdthomas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News