ADVERTISEMENT

Farrell has questions about Darnold's personality, confidence and leadership

Chris Swanson

War Daddy
Jun 20, 2013
https://n.rivals.com/news/godfather-and-gorney-florida-tennessee-nebraska-lsu-more

Starts at 18:51

Farrell: "(Oklahoma State QB Mason) Rudolph is rising on my NFL draft list for sure. Let me ask you this question, you've interviewed Sam Darnold more than I have and obviously both you and I have talked to (UCLA QB Josh) Rosen. Rosen carries himself with confidence, Mason Rudolph carries himself with confidence. Those are the two quarterbacks that I have in the top three. Sam Darnold, seems to be missing something when it comes to personality, confidence, leadership. Do you catch that? Because I saw his postgame interview and I'm like, he just doesn't seem like a guy you're going to follow."

Gorney: "Yeah I don't know about the leadership part. I think he's a leader, I think people follow him and are behind him. I don't know if that outward confidence is there that people completely trust in him to deliver wins and we've seen that from Rosen and its been one of his criticisms. Mason Rudolph is the same way. Mason Rudolph, I loved seeing him, I think they were playing Tulsa and blowing them out and he was still on the sideline getting guys fired up and in people's faces and talking to the offensive line and showing that leadership on the sideline. I don't see that from Darnold, he's more of, how can I say this kindly? He's more of a laid back, Orange County, surfer dude type that just kind of goes out and quietly wins games. Would you say he's having a great season? No. I think he's come back to earth a little bit. I think coming into this year everyone thought he was going to be unstoppable and phenomenal like he was last year and I think he's been average to a little bit above average so far. He doesn't have JuJu Smith to throw too and he has a lot of young receivers. But still, there's a little bit of a question mark, like they were against Texas. Should they have been in that position at all against a Texas defense that gave up 51 points to Maryland in the season opener. So we'll see as they go on. I think he's a leader, I think people get behind him but like you said Mike and I agree, there's something there that just doesn't click. Because his personality type isn't one to be the go out and get them type."

Farrell: "He's got talent. that throw he made on the run in the back of the end zone was just a absolute laser where he threw, i don't know who the receiver was, but he threw him open and the kid made a great play and a great catch and it was the only window he could have fit that football in. But then you're talking about, the pick six before the half was not his fault at all. He hit the guy in stride it went right through his hands and oops, pick six. But I'm just telling you, it's just a feeling I get after viewing thousands of kids over the years and seeing his affect and the way he comes off. It's not Jay Cutler pouty depressive, but it's very unsure of himself, it's kind of nerdy, questioning, it's not confidence that I see. Again, who cares about interviews right? But if that guy's going into an NFL huddle and the average NFL player on his team in 27, 28 years old or a six year NFL veteran and you have this guy coming in there with this hesitation and lack of confidence. You're going to be like, I don't know man. That's one of the things I've noticed and you never want to take these outside the box things and really put them into evaluation but you have too. You simply have to. There's been many kids over the years that we've scouted and looked at where we're like that kid doesn't love football, that kid doesn't have the personality, that kid's not a leader. That kid's this, that or the other, that kid is trouble. And you have to factor it in. That kind of struck me a little bit. But we'll see, we'll see how he does in interviews. He's a nice kid for sure. That's just kind of something that was interesting."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News