ADVERTISEMENT

Footnotes from Friday

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Notes and observations from this morning's player-run practice ...

Warm-ups begin around 7:30.

Adoree' Jackson is back.

Steven Mitchell isn't participating but he's here today. We were asked on the board about a possible ankle injury. No real sign of one, as he's walking around fine and doesn't have anything on either of his ankles.

There were again several players either not present or light participants. It's understandable. Summer school is in session.

7-on-7s:

Cody Kessler targets Connor Spears twice.

Robby Kolanz beats Adoree' on a fly route.

Kessler goes deep to Isaac Whitney, who's looking like a viable downfield threat.

Kessler, again taking the majority of the snaps after working at the Elite 11 last week, misses Cyrus Hobbi. It was either overthrown or underrun.

Adoree' knocks down a pass from Ricky Town.

11-on-11s:

Period opens with several running plays.

Sam Darnold had a nice sequence where he rolled out and hit George Katrib.

Kessler looks sharp on some shorter throws to running backs, tight ends and slot receivers.

Comparatively, Max Browne attempted several deep throws. He overthrew a few early but rebounded late.

Kessler had a nice completion down the middle of the field to De'Quan Hampton, who has the potential to be a huge mismatch.

Browne throws a perfect lob to Katrib, who beats John Plattenburg on the play. Browne hit Katrib in stride.

Dominic Davis continued to make some explosive cuts. He changed directions at least twice in losing Uchenna Nwosu. Everyone had a good laugh over that one.

Town scrambles for a nice gain. His footwork looks to be improving.

Reuben Peters intercepts Town on the final play. In defense of Town and the other QBs, everyone is wearing the same gray shirt. I don't know how they'd identify anyone unless they locked in on them.

Final notes:

Soma Vainuku increased his workload.

Ajene Harris, who underwent his other hip surgery, watched from a motorized cart. He said he'll be out of it soon.

Leonard Williams was also here.

A dozen players stuck around for 1-on-1s following the hour-long workout. I didn't catch much of it because this is our window to interview players.

While I was talking to Plat, I noticed Deontay Burnett make an outstanding play on a jump ball down the sideline while going up against Ykili Ross. I knew Burnett had the hands but I didn't realize he could get up that high. Also managed to stay in bounds. Kid is an athlete.

Ross broke up a deep ball to Burnett soon after.

Hampton and Whitney both made nice catches downfield with Adoree' in coverage. While Adoree' showed his mettle against bigger receivers last year, the plays seemed to show how difficult a cover Hampton and Whitney are, especially when the ball is placed well.

Adoree' wasn't about to be outdone, however, as he went high and demonstrably deflected a potential touchdown to Whitney moments later.

Caleb Wilson also went high to haul in a pass vs. Tell. The potential is there for USC to reincorporate big targets into its passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News