ADVERTISEMENT

Football Grading the Quarterbacks: Day 6

T

taj_war

Thursday’s practice in the Coliseum was the best day the USC quarterbacks have had in camp so far. They avoided bad mistakes the whole day, along with appearing noticeably more confident and collected throughout the practice. Hopefully today’s showing is more representative of what this group can be than Tuesday’s.

JT Daniels: B

The freshman seemed to get his rhythm back, looking more like the guy we saw the first few days of camp. He completed almost every ball in 7 on 7s, including a beautiful deep touchdown to Stephen Carr over two defenders, and carried over that confidence into team reps. He wasn’t as sharp in that 11-on-11 session, throwing a bad ball to a blanketed St. Brown on a streak and missing an open Ced Ware on a wheel route, but impressed nonetheless.

He did a great job finding the open man and taking shots down the field, including a gorgeous streak to the endzone for St. Brown, which the receiver just barely dropped as he hit the ground. Daniels looked like he’s right where he wants to be at this point as a thrower, with great accuracy and touch. A little cleanup on his decision making, along with making it quicker, could make the job his in the coming weeks.

Jack Sears: A-

Jack Sears impressed for the second day in a row to earn my first “A” grade of camp so far. His ability to get the ball anywhere to any spot was never in question-his teammates have always raved about the cannon attached to his shoulder and we’ve seen it for ourselves. It was his decision making and ball placement that was suspect, and throughout the spring and the first few days of camp it seemed like that wasn’t changing. Yesterday and today however, Sears has looked like he’s ready to leave that behind him. He looked fantastic today, missing only one throw on the entire day in 7-on-7s and the team session.

He did a great job moving through his reads to find the open man, making impressive passes to receivers at the intermediate level and checking down to smart throws underneath when those weren’t available. Sear’s showed off the arm strength that’s been his calling card as well, tossing a gorgeous bomb into the endzone for St. Brown. Daniels is leading the quarterback competition at this point and no one will tell you otherwise. If Sears continues to look like this though, this race could get much, much tighter.

Matt Fink: B

Fink had himself a good day today, once again refraining from making any bad mistakes and remaining consistent throughout his reps. He did a great job checking through his reads today much like Sears, something I didn’t think I’d seen much of from either of them coming into today. He made good decisions underneath, keeping the ball away from danger as he mostly got it into the hands of his backs and tight ends on intermediate and short routes. What impressed me most in his performance today though was his willingness to try to stretch the field, something I’ve been bemoaning the lack of in his game for about a week now.

He wasn’t perfect by any means, throwing into tough coverage and misplacing a few balls, but he also had his moments, like a beautiful streak to Velus Jones that the receiver unfortunately couldn’t corral. At this point, the misses deep aren’t that big of a deal. The fact that Fink is finally taking those shots makes him a lot more palatable as a potential starter, and he’ll only get better at those throws as he practices them more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News