ADVERTISEMENT

Football ICYMI: Safety C.J. Pollard out for spring; Greg Johnson returning?

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
This might have been lost in my long notebook from Tuesday's practice but sources tell me redshirt junior safety C.J. Pollard is out for spring practice after suffering a broken foot last week. It leaves an already thin secondary even more depleted. In fact, USC has just one scholarship safety available for full contact -- Raymond Scott, who just moved from inside linebacker. Isaiah Pola-Mao and Talanoa Hufanga are both participating in non-contact periods only this spring while rehabbing their respective injuries.

There is some buzz that cornerback Greg Johnson, who left the team last week upon seeing the pre-spring depth chart, could return. I checked with a member of the program and was told, "We are all confused just like you guys." It would make sense for Johnson to return, seeing that he's still on campus and has a clear path to the playing field. I'm told he needs to shore up his academics, though.

The Trojans, of course, are similarly shorthanded at cornerback. They had just three healthy bodies manning their three spots Tuesday: redshirt freshmen Chase Williams and Isaac Taylor-Stuart, and true freshman Briton Allen. Redshirt senior Dominic Davis, who has only practiced at corner the past two years, was sidelined but is expected back this spring.

Hufanga intimated that USC won't be doing live periods until after it returns from spring break. That is also when I'd expect Johnson and/or Velus Jones to be with the team if they plan to play for the Trojans in 2019. But as it stands, there will be just a handful of scholarship players in the secondary this spring in full-padded, 11-on-11 periods. That's less than the program had during its sanction years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News