ADVERTISEMENT

Football Interview with USC AD Mike Bohn on decision to retain Clay Helton

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Myself, the LA Times' Ryan Kartje and The Athletic's Antonio Morales had an exclusive group interview with USC athletic director Mike Bohn soon after the news broke. Here's the full transcript:

On the final decision and how he arrived at it …
“First of all, I fully grasp and understand the high expectations of our fan base, of our rich history and understand all that. That being said, I believe Clay Helton probably did his best coaching job this year. With the incredibly tough schedule. With the adversity associated with injuries. Clay Helton deserves to have the right to continue to lead this program. He’s got the full grasp of his team. Recruiting is going dramatically better than anybody wants to admit. I believe now it’s imperative for me to help others that are a big part of this program understand the importance of building an alignment around Coach. We’re going to work extremely hard in ensuring nothing is off the table associated with moving forward.

“And what I mean by that is we’re going to provide every resource, tool, amount of energy to help inspire these student-athletes. These players deserve that. That’s why they came to SC and that’s what we’re going to recruit to. A commitment to players they know, that’s why you come to SC. To have that. I’m keenly aware of some dissatisfaction with our base and I respect that but it is really going to be imperative and important for us to support our student-athletes and help us and pull that together. That may obviously take some time to do that but that’s what we’re going to work hard on. We all know who we open our season with next year. We all know the strength of the opponent we’re going to play in a bowl game. Again, I believe that the commitment to the young men that represent this team, and for that matter all sports in the athletic department, are going to have a re-doubled commitment to tools, resources and access to things that are going to help them be successful.”

On when he reached the decision ...
“My support of Clay and this team really never wavered but in fairness to all the fans, donors, former players, rich history we have here, our community, the media, I really believed it was important to have a thorough process. We did that and I did that as much as I could in this short period of time. Again, it comes down to our student-athletes and you look at the development of what he has done and what Graham has done on offense this year, that’s impressive by any standard.”

On whether he spoke to other candidates ...
"No. No, I did not. The process was a thorough review of all of our options and potential scenarios but no.”

On his expectations for Helton now that he has received this vote of confidence?
“Well, it’s more than a vote of confidence. This is a further escalation of resources and tools and some models we’ll be bringing into the program to help us with our competitiveness. Our expectations are high just like they are as a fan base. We all want the same thing. As does Coach Helton. As do our players. I think that’s why it will be critical for all of us to channel our energy, our passion, our competitive spirit, our vision to success all into the right channels. And when the Coliseum I’m looking at right behind your shoulders is full and energetic, there is a competitive juice and intimidation that comes along with that and we recruit to that and that’s what we’re aiming to put together long-term.

"That's why I believe it is integral to this formula of trying to be successful and attracting great players, particularly from Southern California, Los Angeles, to understand that's where the commitment is coming from, that we're all on the same page. So expectations are going to remain high, not only for me but the entire institution, but also the commitment to support these players and these coaches and everybody associated with the football program at a level that maybe hasn't been as robust as it's been in a while."

On why the 11-day process, if other candidates weren't pursued ...
"It's really irrelevant, associated with revealing that. I just will tell you after being in the business 40 years, to include when I was a student-athlete, having extensive relationships with people around the country and understanding the best and finest college football and football minds in America and having access to that was helpful."

On any staff changes expected ...
"We're not going to reveal any of those details now. I think right now first and foremost it was about the team and our focus is going to remain on the team, but there is nothing off the table associated with what we're looking at to improve upon."

On weighing the fan unrest ...
"The fans are always a part of what we're doing, but I think that's why in my opening comments to the first question I mentioned them because they're a part of our solution. I believe they're one of our finest assets, and we're thrilled to play in America's best college football venue -- in my opinion. Obviously I'm biased, but in my opinion when the Coliseum is as special as it is, particularly since so many people worked so hard to put it together -- our donor base was significant part of that and pulling that together -- that environment and intensity of interest is essential for us to attract great players from LA, Southern California and the nation, but let's ensure they know that's the case. So as angry and frustrated as some of our base may be, first and foremost it's always for me as an athletic director, it's going to be about the student-athletes first. And I'm asking them to recognize that and ensure that collectively we can do something pretty special. This is very talented team coming back. We lose four starters. Clay Helton was the coach that built [that] and he's deserving of the opportunity to keep that group together, and stability is important for USC right now and it's important for these young men and it's important for our university. And I believe that stability is going to be something that allows to boast of a bright future."

On whether that fan sentiment made it tougher ...
"It certainly isn't helpful, in the sense of … Let me say it a different way, the fans and their passion and their expectations of the program are matched by me. So I understand where they're coming from, but change for the sake of change right now, considering the strength of this team and the way this team stuck together and the way this team rallied through a lot of adversity is appreciated by me, I recognize it and I salute them for it and I would hope that our fans would do the same thing."

On whether it was soley Bohn's decision ...
"I think everyone understands that we have a wonderful, committed dedicated president, and that was my recommendation to her. Obviously was thrilled to have a president that supported that. We’re on the same page. Our ability to pull together these additional investments of resources and tools and the competitive spirit of the program is one of the reasons I came to USC. She shares the same expectations I do and the fans do."

On whether the money left on Helton's contract was a factor ...
"Irrelevant, was never a factor. Never."

On weighing recruiting as a factor ...
"Absolutely. I think that I follow the recruiting process as closely as anybody. I can tell you in the last three days, we’ve had some really good news. Even before we made the announcement today. That’s a credit to the staff and coach, but also a credit to the players because they’re the ones who helped recruit him. That said, prior to helping providing some much-needed energy and support and passion into the coach, I believe that some of the frustration that comes from the base sometimes doesn’t help us particularly with that. That’s why I’m helping to understand the big picture of the student athlete and the young men that wear the Cardinal and Gold.

"I'm going to also tip my hat to our former players. They were extremely clear with me about what they believed is the right thing. They never talked about coach specifically. They talked about a standard and they talked about a toughness, and they talked about a work ethic, and they talked about a competitive spirit during practice and all those different things. That gives you a pretty good glimpse into what we’re going to be focused on working forward. And these young men in the short time I've been around them are up to that, and they're expecting that."

On whether Helton was given an extension ...
"No."

On what assurances Helton has moving forward or if he'll be evaluated next year ...
"Clay Helton is our football coach for today, and it would be speculation, it wouldn’t be fair to our players, our coaches [to say anything more]. One thing I shared with our team, I apologized to them for having to go through this. But as we were going through this process, it was critical to ensure that we were building the model associated with support for the program. That was invaluable. I believe the team understands that now. I know that coach feels that. The very first time I met him, the very first sentence out of my mouth was, what can I do to help you?

"To be honest with you, I think he was so shocked I said that, I don’t know that I got a real great answer. But he’s very well aware of our commitment. Our expectations are going to remain at the same level as our fans and their competitive spirit and juices will help us. That’s what my hope is from them."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News