ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting It doesn't sound like Raesjon Davis is a candidate to flip ...

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
I know some have hope that USC can change the mind of 4-star 2021 OLB Raesjon Davis (Mater Dei HS), but after talking with him yesterday I think he's as firm as can be on his LSU commitment.

Ultimately, he said, it came down to the vision coach Ed Orgeron sold him on and his belief that the Tigers are positioned to remained a top national contender for years to come.

"I just saw LSU going towards a winning program. [Coach Orgeron] showed me that it's going to be a top program for the next 5-10 years, I saw that and said I want to be a part of that," Davis said.

Davis says he still hears from USC a lot (mostly from Gavin Morris) and that new defensive coordinator Todd Orlando reached out to him soon after being hired.

"I think as soon as he got the job he called me the next day. I think Gavin got him on it. Gavin really wants me up there so he's going to continue to work and try to get me. That will always be more people," Davis said.

And that's what makes his LSU commitment such a big blow to the Trojans. Even Davis admits a couple years ago he couldn't have seen himself ending up anywhere other than USC.

His father is huge Trojans fans and, like many football players from Southern California, he was brought up dreaming of being a part of the program. Ultimately, it was bad timing for USC to go through some lean years and open the door for Orgeron and LSU to swoop in and lure the talented defensive playmaker away.

"A couple years ago that was my dream offer, USC. That's where I always wanted to go at first, but then Coach O, he showed me there's a different way," Davis said. "My dad, he's always for me, so whatever I want to do he's going to be along with it, just like my mom. My family's very supportive."

So is there any chance he could be swayed back over these next 10-plus months? Nothing is ever a done deal in recruiting until the paperwork is signed, but it doesn't sound like that's even a thought in the back of Davis' mind at this point.

"No, I'm locked in," he said. "That's my fam. Coach Jeff Martin (LSU's assistant director of player personnel), that's my guy, we talk all the time. [Grad assistant Alec] Osborne, that's my people. I'm going to go up there for the spring game and talk to them some more, meet [new defensive coordinator Bo] Pelini and keep it going from there."

Reactions: Kylerkeener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News