ADVERTISEMENT

Football Lincoln Riley explains thought process on two-point conversion calls

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
What went into the two-point conversion decisions the past couple of week -- is that a chart or gut feel dictating those?

"Little bit of both. We have a chart that gives us, that's obviously analytics-based that gives us a thought process on where you want to do it. Some of it is, and I've always said I don't want to be the coach that, well I just made this decision based solely on analytics. I think that's at times a cop out. There's feel and flow of the game and confidence to execute it or confidence to stop it. There's how many possessions are left in the game. Charts the other day were pretty strong to go for it. I was lukewarm on one of them -- the first one just because it was so early in the half and the nature of the game, it was such a heavy possession game, there was so many possessions I knew there was a lot left to unfold. So it was one of those, the chart was not 50-50, but in my mind it was 50-50 and decided to go for it. We had exactly what we wanted and didn't catch the ball. But yeah, we haven't done too many, but every now and then you get into those situations where they come up and we've actually had more here in the last few weeks than maybe we've had my entire time here at 'SC."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News