ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley Thursday Zoom call -- UCLA week

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
The notable takeaway is that Riley said he expects Mario Williams and Eric Gentry "to be available" Saturday. What that means is anyone's guess.

He also noted that he sees Mason Murphy and Bobby Haskins as 1A/1B at left tackle in no particular order. He said Haskins is closer to full strength this week and deserves to play, but that Murphy has also made a strong case for deserving to be out there. Sounds like a time share moving forward.

Full transcript:

What has led to the patience you all have showed Brenden Rice to be able to work through some drops and keep getting opportunities to make plays?

"He's been a really good practice player, and he's a guy that continues to really work at his craft. He's been excellent blocker for us, he's really been a difference-maker in the blocking game, and you're right he's made a number of big plays. I know he's got a couple that he'd love to have back from the year, but that's part of it. The key is he's been able to respond. I think the one-two punch of him and Ford out there at X has been, especially here in the back half of the season, has been important for us to get those guys going, for them to make some plays and they certainly have. You see what the kid does on the practice field, the way he works at it, it's been cool to see the improvement, and again, a lot more production out of that the last several weeks, which has been trending in a great direction."

What have you seen from the nickels the last few weeks with Latrell emerging a little bit?

"Kind of a position like the X receiver production offensively that we were wanting to get more production out of. We've played three guys there, Jaylin and Max obviously, Latrell, those guys have all had some really, really bright moments. All three of those guys have also had other roles on our defense as well, so as we've been rotating, and especially there when we got low on DBs for a while, we were able to dual-train a lot of those guys and they were able to play in different packages. So there's been a little bit more shuffling than maybe you would hope to have, but yeah, I think looking for production. That's the name of the game is those positions out there have to produce. We used the term last week, sharing with you guys, we don't want placeholders out there -- we want playmakers. You can guys that are in the right position, and that's good -- that's a good start, you've got to be lined up, you've got to be in the right position, you've got to run the call -- but you're going to get some amount of opportunities to make those plays, and you've got to have guys that make them when that opportunity shows itself. So we've continued to keep the competition ongoing, and I think that's a little bit the evolution of it. In spring and early in camp, it's probably as these guys are learning it, it's more, the guy does well, he's in the right spot all the time, that's pretty good, that's a good step. But now we're getting to the point where we're not inventing a bunch of new calls. Our guys know what we're going to do on both sides of the ball. The busts should go down and the playmaking should go up, and we've put that on the guys and said, hey, if you want to be on the field, you've got to be out there finishing plays and not just being in the right position."

How much more difficult has it become to defend your offense with the other WRs stepping up in Jordan and Mario's offense?

"We needed them to step up -- those were important games, important stretch without some of our guys there. I think offenses are always more dangerous when the ball's flowing to a lot of different people, and a lot of different people are making plays. Then I think at times, you put a defense in a position where it's like, what do you stop? Where is it going? I think it makes you more unpredictable, and I think it's given Caleb the confidence to be able to spread the ball around and not [lock] in on this guy or that guy and just go where the read determines, which is typically the best way to play this position in my opinion."

With Mason Murphy starting at left tackle, is that because he's won that job now or is that because of Bobby's health the last few weeks?

"I would say a combination. It was good to have Bobby back a little bit last week and I think we'll have him back in a little bit more of a full capacity hopefully this time moving forward. Some of that time for him, like any of our other banged up guys, has been valuable. He's been able to kind of get his body back underneath him, so yeah, I feel like in my mind we have kind of 1A and 1B in terms of starting left tackle. I think Mason has done a great job and certainly made a strong case for continuing to play a lot of snaps, and then obviously Bobby and his play throughout the year warrants playing as well. We're in good position there. It's good to finally have guys back healthy and available, and we'll continue to both with what starts the game and how the game's unfolding, we'll continue to evaluate that and try to get the best five out there."

How is Bobby doing after the tragedy with his former teammates at Virginia?

"It’s really really difficult. Obviously guys on that team, some he was teammates with for multiple years. It hit him hard, like I think it would any of us if we’d been in that same position. Bobby is a great kid. He’s got a lot of love for everything here, but certainly a lot of love for Virginia and his time there. We’ve tried to surround him this week and be there for him. There’s a bit of shock and mourning certainly for anybody that goes through something like that, something that tragic. We’ve used the full power of our program and all the great people in it to lift him up and support him. I know he’ll be playing Saturday with Virginia and their team and specifically those three players on his mind."

What's the latest update on Mario Williams and Eric Gentry?

"They’ve progressed. I expect them to be available on Saturday."

What have you seen from Korey Foreman of late in practice and in the game Saturday?

"Did a nice job on Saturday. He made some plays. Was good to see him get in there and really play aggressive and just kind of turn it loose. It was a great step. Continuing to look for guys at all positions, all sides o the ball that are going to get in there and take advantage of their opportunities. Korey has continued to work hard. He’s continued to progress. I thought we saw some real positive steps on Saturday. It was fun to see him out there making plays and seeing his excitement and his fire. Now the challenge for him has been, let’s go build on that. Let’s have a great week of practice and build on that momentum because whether it’s Korey or anybody on our roster, if guys are out there making plays and they’re doing it consistently, they’re going to earn more opportunities – and get opportunities to make even more plays. So our expectation for Korey is he keep battling, keep improving and build on that and hopefully have an even better week this week."

What's the difference in playing a mid-season or end of season rivalry?

"That’s a good question. I mean, the ones we can relate to, OU-Texas was always in the same spot, kind of there midseason. Oklahoma State was typically toward the end for us, the Bedlam game there. Um, yeah, it’ll probably in some ways feel more like that one, just in terms of we had several games against Oklahoma State through the years there that decided the conference champion or who was going to the championship game. There was typically quite a bit riding on that game. So I guess relative to some of our people that came from Oklahoma, that’s probably the one that will be the most similar. There probably is, to answer your question, especially if both teams are having good seasons like these teams are. Then you’ve got added on top of that the rivalry, there are some pretty direct repercussions, some direct consequences and opportunities associated with this game that maybe feel a bit more front and center because it’s right here at the end, it’s our last conference game. That added part is probably the biggest difference, but it makes it even more fun."

Reactions: Kylerkeener
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News