ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Final thoughts on the 2 conventions...

GaryTD

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
The RNC as a showcase was a little less disciplined, as one would expect from a race where 12 candidates originally competed for the nomination . So tempers ran high and failed candidates held grudges. And some star power was missing. But they had a clear message. We aren't the Democrats. What concerns us is simple: ISIS, Economics of this country and Illegal Immigration and its impact on the nation. The target was easy...all people disaffected by the present government. It's the same that Obama had after the George Bush years. The RNC was about who is Trump. Some see him as a rube, some as a straight speaker. But he claims to be for the people and seems more so of the 2 candidates so far. The speakers were set up to tell people who he was to friends and family.

The DNC was totally different. Although Bernie's gang was a distraction, only segments got into the room (he did get about 40% of the delegates). Bernie in some ways tapped into his own dissatisfaction crowd as well. Hillary who had her own knockdown drag out race with Obama in 2008 realized that Obama remains well liked (forget about failed policy) and she had to hitch her star to both Bernie's leftist notions, and Obama's ideologue. So the party of disparate parts looked that way (no cause is too small) but sewn together by the gloss of its speakers and most importantly its performers. And they did a glossy job. But somehow the three concerns of the RNC were not addressed (ISIS, Economy, concerns about Illegals).

The opening acts were good- Michelle -I think America is great (say what?), Biden (Malarkey?), Clinton (just an old fashioned love song!), Obama ( I'm great, but Hillary-gulp-gulp- may be better!), and then a letdown- Hillary who had a well written speech but admittedly is more of a prose person (prosaic?) than a poetic person. And the ending where the USA flag, which was absent for nearly 4 full days was brought out by everyone with accompanying shouts of USA, USA, USA!, maybe for those that felt estranged from Trump. The end result was a somewhat hard to define platform...where jobs issues, security, terrorist threats, racial division, and others were barely spoken for. But everything is awesome! So I saw the DNC as better organized, more star power, and had something for everyone, but the concerned economist.

The frosting is over and the candidates hit the road in what should be a lot more entertaining than the conventions. BTW guys I'll now get back to football and have some stuff you may be interested in.

Last edited:
Reactions: socaljack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News