ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gun control.....

GaryTD

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
I haven't written anything about politics for a while but in the world of reality, e.g. non-sports, the cry arises again for gun control. What does it do? Europe is almost entirely a stringently controlled guns area and yet they have gun deaths and even massacres similar to Las Vegas in similar numbers. Why wasn't gin control addressed by Obama over his 8 years? Too many votes out there to totally tick off, that's why. Just kick the can down the road. Now that Trump is there, the political stuff on gun control re-emerges. Where are these activists on job increases, better economy, immigration control, taxes, security against ISIS, et al? Oh, they are simply "resistors"...yeah, low ohm, low wattage resistors.

On gun laws....first make sure the wounded in LV get treated back to health if possible, consul the bereaved, and solve the murder case...and then look at whether laws can prevent it. This call to act now is pre-mature. Didn't we pass the ACA to see what we had? How did that work?

And here are some stats from a recent detailed investigation into homicides.....

"....As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are SUICIDES. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn't even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?
However, the next-largest set of gun deaths — 1 in 5 — were young men aged 15 to 34, killed in homicides. These men were most likely to die at the hands of other young men, often related to gang loyalties or other street violence. And the last notable group of similar deaths was the 1,700 women murdered per year, usually as the result of domestic violence. Far more people were killed in these ways than in mass-shooting incidents, but few of the popularly floated policies were tailored to serve them...."

What happened in LV was an atrocity......preventing it by laws is sadly unlikely ..that is just another slight matter of inconvenience for rabid politicians.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News