ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Haden Q&A

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
We caught up with USC athletic director Pat Haden moments after Clay Helton's introductory press conference. Here's the full transcript from the interview.

--on the process to hire a head coach
“We had a good pool. When I started about five, six weeks ago, we first started with 17 names, somewhere around 17 games. Some of them weren’t interested, some weren’t the right fit. I talked to a bunch of agents, did interviews with people. I always meet with Clay or talk to Clay on Sundays. So I had an interview with him about two, three weeks ago, a four-hour interview, and then I had, when I came in yesterday, a second interview with Clay, for about three hours or so yesterday, and then that’s when I said this is the guy that’s right for our job. And again, we didn’t need a glitzy, fancy name because we know what we have.

"I think we needed a reboot. I know that may sound funny because Clay’s been here for six years, but he’s really changed the culture in the seven weeks of this building and of this team. Family first, team first, different style of play, clearly. And I do think he has a big upside. This is not unprecedented. John McKay did it here, of course, John Robinson spent one year away. Even now, Dabo Swinney I think was an assistant promoted, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. In our conference, David Shaw and Mark Helfrich. So it isn’t unprecedented and we think we have the right guy for the job.”

--on what quality sticks out about Helton
“I just think his leadership ability. I think what this young men need is a leader of young people. And we have that guy with him. I met with some really great ex-Trojan football players about three weeks ago as part of this process some of our best ever, and we talked about the characters. That all resonated with all of us, a guy who was a leader of young men. And we know Clay is that person. …

“Sometimes you’re looking out into the horizon so far and you trip over the guy that’s right for the job. And I think that’s exactly what we have. Knowing him as well as we do for six years, I think we know what were getting. We’re taking some risk of that. Again, I also understand there will be plenty of people that disagree with this. Every decision I make is subject to that. I completely get it. But it’s my call and in my heart of hearts we have the right coach.”

--on his health
“I am doing OK. I am doing OK. My doctor still doesn’t want me to travel as much. I usually travel a lot. I haven’t been as much recently. And J.K now says to me don’t come to games because you’re bad luck, bad karma.”

--on attending the Pac-12 title game
“Can’t be there.”

--on whether what happened two years ago had an impact
“Ed was a great Trojan, is a great Trojan. Stull is a great Trojan. I love Ed. I’m sure he’s done a great job down there at LSU. Different time, different decision. We had ways of looking at Clay for a long time in a lot of different roles. And once again I think we have the right guy for the job.”

--on not getting NFL coach when players come to USC expecting to play in NFL
“Well, first of all, most of those guys don’t. Right? So we try tot ell them when they first get here, if that’s a dream, terrific. It’s a great job if you can get it. But lets make sure you graduate with a meaningful degree here and if you make it to the NFL fantastic. He’s produced over his 21-year coaching career lots of guys that have gone on to the NFL, so he ahs that experience. And USC, in that department, the NFL department, USC has sent more guys to the NFL. I think the school probably sells itself as much as anything.”

--on how many people he interviewed
“I interviewed several. OK, I’ll leave it at that. I’m not going to tell you who. I did not interview Chip Kelly.”

--on how long he foresees being the athletic director
“Somewhere between zero and 10 (years) is still the number.”

--on whether there is a timetable
“No, no."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News