ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs. Playoffs?!?

dbcraig

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2007
We're talking about Playoffs?? I know, the season's only half over, but why not. It's fun.

USC Path to the Playoffs:
It's pretty easy right now. Win them all and we're almost definitely in. The OU and Michigan home losses to unranked teams this week were big. Doesn't matter how we've looked so far. Just win, baby.

Here's my breakdown...

The Undefeateds:
13 left. 4 have no chance even if undefeated (UCF/USF/Navy/SDSU).

2 (of the remaining 9) are in the Pac 12. Wash/Wazzou play so that eliminates one. We'd then beat the other in Pac 12 Champ game if they were still undefeated at the time and be in over them.

2 left in the ACC. Clemson appears poised to steamroll in. Miami is the only other undefeated, but has only played 4 games so far and would have to beat Clemson. With FSU out of the picture, we'd be above any other 1 loss ACC team. I predict Clemson takes one of the 4 spots.

1 left in the Big 12: TCU is really our only threat. With OU crapping the bed and TCU already beating OkSt handily, TCU is basically the Big 12's only chance, but they still have to play at OU. Even if OU wins out we should be ahead of them, although it would be close. Our loss would be better. I predict the Big 12 gets left out.

2 Left in the Big Ten: Wisc and PSU are the only undefeateds left. Only one can be undefeated at the end. The winner of the Big Ten is most likely in. Mich and Ohio St and PSU all play each other still, and Mich and Ohio St both have losses already. Worst case scenario is Wisc and PSU are both undefeated in Big Ten champ game and it's a really close game. Root for PSU or Wisc to drop one along the way. I predict Ohio St beats, Mich, PSU and Wisc and gets in.

2 Left in the SEC: This is probably the scariest. UGA looks very good so far. Bama looks unstoppable. The rest of the SEC is garbage, with Auburn the only 1 loss team even remotely in contention. UGA and Bama don't play in regular season, so if they are both undefeated going into the SEC champ game, the winner is clearly in, but the loser might be in too, especially if it's a close game. Root for UGA to stumble somewhere. I predict Bama rolls, but think Bama and UGA both in is a real possibility.

Anyone else? The Domers only have one loss but obviously if we beat them they are out.

Final four prediction:
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio St
4. USC

Key teams to root against: TCU, Georgia and Wisconsin (Thanks Iowa St!).

Who's your four right now?

Reactions: SC55OU19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News