ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Hits - Day 9

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
News updates from Wednesday's practice...

USC was in shells and shorts today, which marked the halfway point in training camp.

CB Jack Jones did not practice because of what Coach Clay Helton described as an "arm/shoulder issue." He's supposed to return in the next couple days.

Helton said the most competitive battle on defense right now is at nose tackle. He also confirmed that USC will likely rotate there more than it did last season.

"It's something that we're trying to instill," Helton said. "Clancy (Pendergast) is one that once he trusts you he'll put you in. And that's a lot, you got to earn his trust. But I feel like the second year in the system he's starting to really trust some kids."

Helton pointed to Ykili Ross as an example of this. Ross was the first-team safety today in place of Marvell Tell, who's still limited by a hamstring. Ross seems to be carving a bigger role at safety, nickel and special teams.

Placekicking remains a bit of an issue, and Helton didn't mince words when asked about it today. He said the kickers will be put in pressure situations during Saturday's scrimmage. I thought Michael Brown had a clear edge but maybe it's not that pronounced.

We've been waiting for a second wide receiver to emerge alongside Deontay Burnett. I wouldn't say there's been an obvious No. 2, but the frontrunner would have to be Tyler Vaughns. Helton commended Vaughns for how he's using his body at the line of scrimmage to get into his routes.

The staff is looking at three players in particular to return kickoffs and punts: Jack Jones, Velus Jones and Ajene Harris. Helton said a few others would be considered but that the first three have shown to be the most consistent catching the ball and making plays on the return. (We saw Deontay Burnett and Trevon Sidney fielding punts today.)

TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe (hip), Tyler Petite (concussion), OL Alijah Vera-Tucker (hamstring), WR Keyshawn Young (hamstring) and TE Josh Falo (knee) remained out. OG Viane Talamaivao and Randal Grimes were limited.

DB Greg Johnson was limited by a shoulder injury.

WR Deontay Burnett increased his workload after being held back Tuesday by sore ankles.

A scout from the Jacksonville Jaguars was in attendance.

I'll have more details in Footnotes. Video interviews include DL coach Kenechi Udeze, LB Cam Smith, DL Kenny Bigelow and S Chris Hawkins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News