ADVERTISEMENT

Reaction from inside USC

Chris Swanson

War Daddy
Jun 20, 2013
Multiple sources confirm Steve Sarkisian attended a team meeting at USC this morning but did not accompany to the team to their afternoon practice.

According to one source close to the program, it was apparent Sarkisian wasn’t himself at the meeting.

“There was a team meeting and in the team meeting, the boys realized there was something wrong and Clay (Helton) got asked to take over between that meeting and 1 o’clock,” the source said.

The source spoke to someone who was in attendance at the meeting. It seems that Sarkisian may have been intoxicated.

“He told me about Sark’s speaking, how it sounded not the same,” the source said. “That’s really all he knew. And the next thing he knew, Clay stepped up and became the guy who was going to lead.”

Officially, USC has placed Sarkisian on an indefinite leave of absence for medical reasons. If Sarkisian was indeed intoxicated on USC’s campus, this wouldn’t be the first accusation against him. He was reportedly intoxicated at this year’s Salute to Troy.

This source also says that Sarkisian’s issues at USC reach back into his years as a young assistant coach.

“I’ve had an ear and a hand in here since Sark was a real young assistant. … Some of the earlier mistakes he had then, they just never stopped,” the source said. “(A confidant) played at U-Dub and told me that there were actions out there that should have showed up. These are things that I hope he can get control of.”

As for USC’s roster, this source believes there’s a possibility the players can stick together and achieve something special this season. But there’s also an acknowledgement that this incident will affect the team.

“There are some wavering kids in there that are going to need some stability,” the source said.

Reactions: trojak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News