ADVERTISEMENT

Road to the Playoffs

dbcraig

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2007
Playoffs? Playoff!?!

Yea, we're pretty screwed after the blowout loss to ND. But one of these years there will be ultimate chaos and a 2 loss team will make it in. The brand recognition and Sam Darnold hype train leaves us with a tiny margin for it to happen. Very unlikely, but just call me Lloyd Christmas. Barring huge upsets, here is what would need to happen to the teams near/ahead of us.

Big 12
Ok St - won't be a factor with two conference losses now
TCU - loses at OU this weekend, then gets revenge in the Big 12 conference game - we'd be ahead of a 2 loss TCU Big 12 champ
OU - opposite of above - loses conference title game and is out - Big 12 left out

Big Ten
Michigan - loses at Wisc in two weeks and is out
Mich St - loses at Ohio St this weekend and is out
Ohio St - loses at Michigan last game of the year and is out
Penn St - won't be a factor with two conference losses now - won't make conf champ game even with other losses above
Wisc - loses to 3 loss Ohio St in the Big Ten champ game - Big Ten champ is Ohio St with 3 losses - conference left out

ACC
Va Tech - out, can't win conference now
Miami - loses badly to Notre Dame this weekend
Clemson - wins out (FSU/Citadel/S Carolina) and whips Miami in ACC conference champ game
CLEMSON IN (spot 1)

SEC
Miss St - loses this weekend to Bama and is out
Auburn - beats UGA this weekend, then loses to Bama in Iron Bowl and is out
UGA - loses to Auburn this weekend and then loses to Bama in the SEC Champ game and is out
Bama - wins out and is in
BAMA In (spot 2)

Notre Dame - wins out and is in
ND in (spot 3)

Group of 5 - no one is getting in

Pac 12
Washington - look impressive rest of the year (Stan/Utah/Wazzou) and go into Pac 12 champ game around 5th in the rankings.
USC - win out and pound a 1 loss Washington team in Pac 12 title game. Pac 12 Champs.
USC in (spot 4)

Is this going to happen? Most likely not, but none of those outcomes are crazy by themselves and it doesn't take into account the possibility of teams losing to an unranked opponent left on their schedule.

My prediction - I'm happy to see the Big 10 bite the dust, I think they are in trouble, but I think the Pac 12 is in really bad shape too. My guess as of now.

SEC Champ - Bama w 0 losses - IN
ACC Champ - Clemson w 1 loss - IN
Big 12 Champ - OU with 1 loss - IN
Notre Dame - 1 loss - IN

Pac 12 - SC w 2 losses - OUT
Big Ten - Ohio St with 2 losses - OUT
Georgia - 1 loss to Bama but OUT even though they beat ND at ND - they will be PISSED

Wildcard would be if Wisc win the Big Ten undefeated. Then who gets left out?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News