ADVERTISEMENT

Short notes on USC-ND

GaryTD

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
I'm proud of these guys. Players and coaches. The rout that most media ex-spurts and some posters predicted did not happen. They actually outplayed ND (the nations 3rd best team according to polls) in the first half and ended up losing by a TD, which puts them in the company of Michigan , Pitt, and Vandy for teams that lost by a single score vs. ND this year.

USC resorted to the short passing game ala Washington State against NDs strong defense. And QB JT Daniels may have come of age with his 37-57, 349 yard performance. No fumbles , no interceptions for JT.

But ultimately the game may well have turned on USCs two fumble turnovers on Notre Dames 33 and 15 yard lines by WRs after catches in the first half, almost certainly preventing another score or two.

The refs for this game were from the ACC, which is NDs conference for most sports outside of Football. With both team playing hard and ND noted for physical play here are the penalties: USC 3-38 yards and USC 8-71 yards. No further comment.

The team, and particularly the defense were purple heart guys. Cam Smith looked exhausted and stunned. A great Trojan, who played his last game, as did some 6 or so other starters. They sacked ND 3 times vs. 2 sacks by ND. They had to play a few walk-ons in our secondary in the second half , Guys I never heard of were making tackles and breakups of passes. Trojans all.

And HC Brian Kelly was gracious in his interviews. He knows what Helton is going through . Just 2 short years ago in 2016 his young team was 4-8 and were beaten by USC by 18 points. ND alum, including a friend of mine, were calling for his head after a 10-3 record, the year before. He recovered with another 10-3 last year and a 12-0 so far. Good for him. and good luck to the Irish

One more post to follow.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News