ADVERTISEMENT

Some things to know on Stanford…..

GaryTD

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
The prior years: The series results have been sporadic. In the 90's ad 2000's USC was 6-4. In the 2010'S Stanford is 7-4. 6 of those games have been decided by 1 score or less. In Helton versus Shaw games it's been 2-2. in the 2010's its Stanford 4-1 at Palo Alto,1-1 on 'neutral' grounds (P12 championship games) and both at 2-2 at the Coliseum.

Stanford in 2018….. 9-4 overall / 6-3 in conference. They ended up non-ranked in both top 25 (AP and Coaches Polls). Their offense dropped 4 ppg (28 ppg) from the prior year. Their defense was solid at 23 ppg. However, they dropped significantly from 2017 in turnover margin to +3 from +16. They beat USC 17-3 in 2018 at Palo Alto. In the season they gave up over 400 yards per game on average, with nearly 2/3rds of that on passes.

Stanford in 2019…. Now ranked #23. But they are a different ball club having lost 7 starters on Offense (RB, TE, 2 WR, 3 OL) and 6 on defense (DE, 3LB, CB, FS). Key losses of personnel to pros (by round): WR JJ Aciega-Whiteside (R2), LB Bobby Okereke (R3), RB Bryce Love (R4),P Jake Bailey (R5), TE Kaden Smith (R6). Plus 4 others were free agent signings. Their best returners are QB (Costello), PK (Jet Toner), LBs (despite losses) and DBs. Some pundits have forecasted a 7-5 overall record with a 5-4 conference record, i.e. 2-1 outside the conference.

Personnel: Best returners- Coach David Shaw. Offense: QB: KJ Costello (3540 yds, 29 TDs, 11 Ints), TE Colby Parkinson (485 yds , 7 TDs), OT Walker Little, Jr. (out for this game), PK Jet Toner (14-14 FGs) Defense: CB Paulson Adebo (64 Tkl, 20 Pass Breakups). DL Thomas Booker (28 Tkl, 3.5 sacks).

What USC must do to beat the Trees/ Cardinal color.
Stanford isn't among the P12 elite offenses. But there is enough talent to make things worrisome. Viewing the Northwestern game I thought the Cardinal is a team that could be comfortable in the Big Ten game. Built for power, not speed. You need a strong OL and a strong Dl to keep up and a good passing game to beat them. I mostly liked what I saw at USC last week in those areas. Make the QB (whoever) uncomfortable with occasional blitzes on first down. On USC offense, just keep attacking the perimeter. No turnovers, no sacks given up. Make them play the speed-up game from being behind early.

Bottom Line: This game opened at pick and its now USC at -1. Stanford over the last few years has struggled on the road and is 7-7 in away or neutral site games. My Forecast: Another close one but USC has more breakaway talent. USC21 Stanford 17.

Last edited:
Reactions: voodoo tatum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News