ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday with Helton

Chris Swanson

War Daddy
Jun 20, 2013
Here is the full audio from Coach Helton's weekly Sunday teleconference (9/24)…

Key Quote:

“Four kids that really stood out on film, two were Cam (Smith) and Marvell (Tell). Marvell was put in that dime position where he's close to the box. And really did a good job, him and Cam of getting the run game down when needed. 12 tackles by both of them on the day. I thought Christian Rector showed up again, taking the spot that Porter held and did a nice job with two sacks on the day. And then Ykili Ross getting his opportunity to come in and help his football family, replacing Ajene (Harris), he comes up with a big interception and played well in the game. Offensively I was really impressed with two kids. I thought one, Stephen Carr, going in as a freshman and being asked to be an every down back rather than just having a particular package. He had 26 touches on the game and I thought handled everything extremely well. The other was Tyler Vaughns on tape. I thought, going back, watching it, I thought the lights really clicked on for the kid. He had three catches but really his improvement in the last two games warrant even more opportunities. I thought that he did a great job of getting open in that game and winning consistently on his match ups."

Topics:

- Opening Remarks on positives, stand out players, needed improvements and injuries (0:00)

- Addressing what USC's identity is (4:40)

- Answering if he'll address Donald Trump's recent comments with his players (6:09)

- His response if a player wants to protest the national anthem (6:49)

- His feelings on whether or not the team is progressing (7:27)

- If he can push the team hard enough to improve the run game (9:52)

- If anything is impacting Darnold's ability to throw an accurate deep ball (11:13)

- Addressing injuries outside of Fatu (12:43)

- On how USC starts faster (13:20)

- On why Washington State starts fast (14:07)

- On why USC scores in bunches (15:15)

- His feelings on why Sam Darnold thrives with a tempo (16:47)

- On Darnold's higher rate of interceptions (17:35)

Injury updates:

Clay Helton says DT Josh Fatu was the only injury to come out of the Cal game. Fatu suffered an ankle injury. Helton says he'll know more about Fatu's injury (and the status of other Trojans who came into the Cal game injured) tomorrow.

He also noted that Ronald Jones was moving around a bit during a workout today. Again, we expect more tomorrow.

Reactions: TWoftheHerd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News