ADVERTISEMENT

Football Team news from National Signing Day

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Here's what we learned from our time with Clay Helton today:

--Asked Helton if there were contingency plans on the current roster for the RB position and he said they will monitor the transfer database for a potential transfer. He noted there are about 1,400 players in the portal. He indicated Dominic Davis will remain a defensive back. USC has two slots remaining in this class and four scholarships available for the roster.

--On open QB competition: He said because USC will have a new offensive system, there will be open competition at all positions. Helton added that the quarterbacks will receive equal reps in spring.

"Any time that you bring in a new system, whether it's quarterback, wideout, tight end, running back, you're going to evaluate every position and all jobs are open. ... You have to see how they fit within the system."

--Bru McCoy still counts against USC’s 25 spots for the Class of 2019 because he attended school but will not count against the 85 limit by the fall.

--Helton said with a new OC in place his personal focus in the spring will be on cleaning up penalties and turnovers as well as forcing turnovers, three areas that plagued the Trojans last season. He wants there to be more time spent on individual drills (which is interesting given that they’re installing a new offense). He also intends to have referees at all full-pad practices.

"I’m going to focus on what I felt really cost us late in the season from going to Santa Clara. Losing four ballgames by seven points or less was directly attributed to penalties and turnovers. ...

"The thing I took away from last season, when we got into penalties, it was due to the lack of technique. ...

"Because of numbers, you don’t have your whole team. You have to be careful with what you currently have. We will try to get full speed as often as we can in team situations to allow the guys to take the individual and carry over to team so they can properly use it in full speed competition."

--Helton noted some of his younger offensive linemen have exerted more leadership in workouts, mentioning Austin Jackson, Jalen McKenzie, Andrew Vorhees and Alijah Vera-Tucker.

"I think one of things that happens is that when your big men are taking charge, that’s a good thing. That’s a good thing. I think we have the right guys right now and they’re pulling guys together. It’s not an individual deal. It’s a lot of team and we’re doing a lot more teamwork together which I think will help. ...

"We’re doing a lot more as a team garnering accountability, not to the individual but to the team and understanding that one fail, all fail. If they mess up in any way, whether it’s being a second later, or all of a sudden, not doing a drill right, it’s the entire team that’s accountable."

--He said Max Williams is ahead of schedule from his ACL injury and is working really hard in hopes of being available to play this season.

"In 25 years I’ve never seen a kid work harder or really is ahead of pace to be ready for next season."

--Helton said RB Stephen Carr is participating in offseason workouts and is full speed -- “I don’t see any signs of injury.” TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe is still doing his conditioning on the side and receiving medical treatment.

--He reminded that next year’s signing class will be smaller, possibly by a good margin, because the senior class includes just eight players

--ICYMI: Here's the latest on USC's search for a new strength and conditioning coach.

--Spring practice is tentatively scheduled to begin March 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News