ADVERTISEMENT

The Eyeball Test. USC vs the Rose Bowl Teams

JetLaggMatt

Alumni
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2003
Cabrillo Marina
I went to the Rose Bowl last night and I was struck by how clearly larger, thicker, faster and tougher these teams appeared when compared to our guys. Simply put, our boys look soft and small in comparison to those beefed yoked-up studs, almost across the board, but not completely. Focusing only on non-graduates.

First, the good... Those on our roster that visually appear to physically measure up: Biggie, Pittman, Tell, Cam, Sam, Gustin, RoJo, Marlon, Iosefa , Green, Bolden, Vaughns

Now, the S&C priority list... that despite potential don't pass CFP eye test by comparison:
Carr (Young, needs to add size just like RoJo did last off-season, be a star).
Voorhees (young),
Chuma (soft, yet mature, may be too late),
Pili (young and pudgy),
Brown (slow, is there a cure for that?, and soft at 310),
Toa (would be ok if moved to center, but clearly smaller than almost all the other G/T),
Jack Jones (young, but should hit the weight room hard and he could be extraordinary),
Daniel I. (needs to bulk up to >250),
Deontay (slight, but that's probably just what he is), and
Houston (simply undersized, I expect Levi to overtake him next year unless he bulks up)
Austin Jackson (he should be at 310 and Solid, then he will be a star)

With a few months to Spring, it is S&C season. It is personal commitment time if these kids want to play at the next level, or elevate our program. So, leave the Cotton Bowl behind, reemerge in Spring as grown-ass men!

I remember when Larry Smith came in. he inherited a roster that had some talent but was soft. he had the linemen running and lifting like maniacs. they hated him, but the results showed almost immediately. I hope for great results.

Fight on!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News