ADVERTISEMENT

The JT Daniels conundrum

prime88

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2005
I don't think it's really arguable at this point that JT has been pretty damn bad. And even more concerning is that he looks like he's regressing. So I started to think about his situation and potential outcomes and did it in a way that made me think about guys in the NFL; or in one case, a guy who used to be.

So let's start there. My biggest concern about JT is that it looks like his mechanics have changed a bit. And it made me wonder how a guy who virtually never got touched in high school is going to deal with being under duress as often as he has been this year. And that thought led me to David Carr. Carr had tools on top of tools but got sacked 76 times in 02 and honestly never recovered (he was sacked like 68 times a year or two later). If I'm right and Jt's mechanics have changed, is it because he's taking hits he never has before? I don't know...But it's a concern.

Next I started thinking about coaching. And it led me to two guys...Jared Goff and Dak Prescott. I'm not for a second saying that Dak has the tools Goff does. What I am saying is that coaching has obviously made a massive difference in Goff's performance. He went from being awful in year one to being incredible now. As for Dak, I don't know if he's a legit starting NFL quarterback. What I do know is he plays in the least imaginative most predictable offense in the NFL (sound familiar?). And I wonder what an elite offensive mind could do for/with him. Can we ask the same questions about Helton and JT? I think so. Do you think with an offensive mind like say Lincoln Riley, we would see a better performance? I think so...But I'm not sure. I'm not sure because there's always the possibility that Daniels just isn't as good as we hoped he would be. He wouldn't be the first 5 star sure thing to fail.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just not sure what the state of this program and more specifically this quarterback is right now. And if he is as good as many of us thought, and the talent is being wasted...that's just a damn shame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News