ADVERTISEMENT

Football They Said It: Mauga, Hufanga, Dorton, Johnson

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
We caught up with a pair of promising true freshmen on defense and two players competing for starting spots. Here are the highlights:

LB KANA’I MAUGA

--on where he feels most comfortable
“It really doesn’t matter to me. I’m just playing what’s best for the team, and to get the team better.”

--on what he’s picked up while playing on the edge
“Definitely the pass rush and the ability to stop the run and find the ball.”

--on if he talks to Jordan Iosefa a lot
“Yes. Me and Jordan, we trade off words. We have that sort of connection, because we’re going to have to have that connection throughout the game.”

--on Porter Gustin’s advice
“It’s great. He’s teaching how I need to have a better first step. That’s what I’ve been working on so far.”

--on playing with the first team defense
“It’s a good transition. It’s definitely a tougher group to go with. Just the competitiveness is always there. Faster, stronger guys.”

--on if he’s maintained his speed while bulking up to 246 pounds
“I’ve been working on trying to improve my speed because I know I’ve gotten a bit slower because of the weight. But I’m managing it quite good.”

S TALANOA HUFANGA
--on the biggest adjustment schematically at safety in this system
“In high school my coach gave me the opportunity to roam, be a monster about eight yards behind the linebackers. Here it’s just learning the defense and knowing my job and my assignments because I never really played a true safety role until the bowl games, actually. When I played in the Army Bowl and the Poly Bowl was really that time for me to play a true safety. But now I’m starting to click it down and learning how to pay man coverage, play zone, instead of just roaming around and trying to make a play.”

--on how training camp has been different than spring
“Training camp has been different just because we have more meetings. I’m getting used to it because football is a full-time job. I’ve never had to do this. My high school, we would have practice in the morning and we were done for the day. Now, we have meetings, practice, walk-through. Just adjusting to that, and I’m loving it. We’re not in school yet until next week so it’s really just a whole deal, just football.”

--on whether something is clicking this week that wasn’t earlier in camp
“I’d say I got a lot of things to learn. I still need to be a sponge and just absorb things and go from there. I’m not perfect and I got a lot of things to work on.”

DL MALIK DORTON
--on if he gets the impression there will be more rotating on the D-line
“I believe so. Clancy, I think he feels comfortable playing more guys. We’re deeper on the D-line this year. The younger guys developed, so I believe we’re going to rotate a lot more this year.”

--on if it’s hard for players to understand the system when they first arrive
“It is a lot, but once you start to learn our system it becomes very simple. I think our coaches have done a great job of developing the younger guys and I think they’ll see some time this year.”

--on which offensive tackle has given him the hardest time
“Obviously, Chuma and Austin Jackson is a guy who’s been doing very well too.”

--on which guard has been the toughest
“Alijah Vera-Tucker, very good, young O-lineman. I think he’s doing to do great this year. He’s improved a lot. He’s very good to be young.”

--on which young D-lineman have stood out to him
“Jay Tufele and Marlon. He’s coming off of injury, so he’s been doing very well, and Brandon is coming along as well.”

CB GREG JOHNSON
--on competing for that starting cornerback spot?
"I'm just working. I'm just working every day to make sure I'm prepared for when the coach calls my name. I can't control them throwing me out there with the 1s or the 2s. I'm just focused on getting better every day. That's all I can do."

--on what type of extra work he’s putting in
"Listen to the older guys, first and foremost, because they've been here, they've done everything, so I've just got to listen to them and stay in my playbook and get extra work in after practice and continue to work every day, continue to ask questions and look to learn something new every day."

--on his expectations coming into camp
"I mean, I just wanted to come out here and work. I don't really got control over where they're going to put me at as far as the depth chart. I just want to come out here and work every day, just prove that I work hard, show the coaches I work hard every day."

--on what he’s shown to put himself in contention for a starting job
"That I'm hungry, that I'm eager to learn. I'm just coming out here trying to stay focused at all times."

--on how much he thinks about the position battle
"I mean, I try not to think about it because if I get my head too caught up in if I'm going with the 1s or if I'm with the 2s I'm just going to be real confused and not really be as focused on practice and getting my assignments done. So I just try to focus on making sure I get my job down out here on the field."

--on where he’s improved most since coming to USC
"Probably technique-wise, reading three step when I'm playing off and just looking at the hip when I'm pressing. That's pretty much it when I'm out here on the field, but off the field, like maturity, especially, making the right choices, holding myself accountable, staying in my playbook, watching film, all the little things."

--on specific goals for the year
"I just want to make sure I'm helping my team on and off the field, whether it's the young guys asking questions about certain stuff or just anything the older guys need me to do, I just want to be there for my team, be the best teammate I can be."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News