ADVERTISEMENT

They Said It - Pt. I (Notre Dame postgame)

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Highlights from our postgame interviews from USC's 45-27 victory at the Coliseum on Saturday...

CB ADOREE' JACKSON
--on his performance vs. Notre Dame
“It’s just a great feeling. It’s one of those things where I wanted to make sure the seniors went out with a bang. And if it was to be my last one here in the Coliseum, it’s one to be remembered. So I’m just thankful and it’s a blessing.”

--on the eight-game win streak
“Just being dedicated and being patient. We know that there’s always going to be ups and downs throughout the season. We just wanted to make sure that we stay along with the process, trusting everything that the coaches are saying. And make sure we came together as a brotherhood and we did that. That’s how we were able to pull an eight-game win streak.”

--on the one-more-year chants
“It’s crazy. They were loud all throughout the game, the student section and everybody in the stadium. Just to hear that chant throughout the game and then to go over there. It’s just one of those things where I did it for Marqise Lee, I did it for all the other greats. So it felt good. It’s one of those things you can’t explain, it just feels good. ...

“It’s just a special place. It’s something that I love being a part of. And it’s just one of those things where you don’t really get these memories back. It’s just like when you’re in high school. When you’re at senior night, and you’re out here, you don’t want to leave it. And that’s what I like about it. The fans always show up, no matter what. Throughout the ups and downs, they’ve always had my back. And I'm appreciative of that.”

--on how they've rebounded this season
“That’s one of the things we knew that we had throughout camp. It’s just about time, when we would put it on film and put it out there for the world to see. I’m thankful. It’s better late then never. And we were able to click and keep it going. And it’s just a blessing to have.”

--on how anxious he is to see what happens between Utah and Colorado
“I’m anxious but at the same time, I wish we didn’t have to put ourselves in this situation. We want Utah to win but at the same time, if Colorado does, hats off to them. They’re a great team and we want to make sure they hold it down for the south and go out there and represent.”

--on what happened on the TD he allowed
“Usually on film, when I watch, they walk (up to the line) and it’s supposed to be a slant. I jumped it. The quarterback does a great job with pump-faking, taking one hand off the ball. He has huge hands. He took it off and I was like, this is mine, this is a pick-six. I was waiting for the whole hat trick. He held on to it and threw it and my mindset was just to get it back. And that’s all I care about. When I make a mistake or do something bad on the field, do something to make up for it. And I had to do it on kickoff return."

--more on the touchdown he allowed
"I was bummed because what happened was, when I looked, they walked (to) the line and usually when they walk up (to) the line it’s a slant or it’s an in route. I saw the quarterback take his hand off the ball, and I’m like, Oh yeah, it’s mine. I was like, I just need to have the full trick, get the pick-six and call it a day. And then I looked and I saw him bring the ball back and I was like, oh damn, it's probably about to go over my head. I just turned around and was hoping he overthrew him. And if he underthrew him I was hoping I could hurry up and catch up to him. But I didn’t. That was me being aggressive. I was being aggressive the whole game, I was breaking on everything, making sure that I’m underneath and trying to get an interception. I dropped one in the red zone when it was raining. I was I guess you could say thirsty for one."

--on his kickoff return for a touchdown
"It was just me trusting everything coach was talking about and making sure that I made the blocks good. They did a great job. I told (ST coach John Baxter) when I kept trying to cut back I kept slipping. So he was like, Well, just run this way and just keep it; it should open up. I just trust everything that he’s saying and doing everything that he’s coached me to do. That’s pretty much why he’s probably always the No. 1 special teams coordinator in the nation."

--on striking the Heisman pose afterward
"I told him (Baxter) I was going to do a front flip and then do the Heisman pose. But I was so tired after the kickoff return so I guess I was just like, I’ll give you that."

--on why he was more demonstrative today than usual
"I think it was just senior night and I was emotionally sad because I knew all my brothers were leaving. So it was me in my feelings. I just wanted to make sure they went out with a bang, so I’m running across the field and getting the crowd involved. I think that was probably the loudest and the best game I’ve been a part of so far."

--on if he thought it might be his last game at the Coliseum
"No, I didn’t think about that. I was having a lot of fun out there, building all these memories and making sure those guys went out with a bang."

--on if this performance makes it easier or harder for him to go pro
"I would say harder. You saw the crowd out there, how much love they’ve given. They’ve been with us throughout it all, the ups and the downs, and I always say God’s timing is perfect and for (them) to stick with us this whole season and the prior season that we had and showing their love and support, it’s just amazing."

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER
--on if it was emotional for him today
"Oh yeah, most definitely. It was a very emotional day. I kind of held it in. but some of my boys, Viane (Talamaivao) and Damien (Mama), they were very emotional. Not only for me but the seniors."

--on if he thinks USC is one of the four best teams in the country
"I feel like, yes. I feel like we could compete with the top four teams in the country. We’re hot right now. Hopefully, Utah can come out with a win and we play against Washington and then we show up in the Pac-12 championship."

--on whether he still thinks about the Utah game
"Yeah, who doesn’t? It’s something that you wish you could have had that game out of all the games."

--on how important it was for him to score a TD
"We were up. I feel like we could have called something else but I Coach made the call. I was on the sideline just relaxing, chilling, resting up. But Coach said, We need one. It was something where I had to go and make a play."

--on if they called the TD for him because it might be his final home game
"Nah, I wouldn’t think that. Coach Tee wants me to stay. All the coaches want me to stay. … I’ve never … probably … I haven’t thought of that."

--on where he’s going to watch the Colorado-Utah game
"To be honest I’m not even going to watch it. I’m going to go home and play some video games, some Call of Duty: Zombies with some fiends and just chill. I can’t watch football. I can’t watch sports in general. I can watch highlights."

--on how he’ll find out the Colorado-Utah winner
"I’ll probably watch an ESPN update, get a notification. If Utah wins, that means we have practice tomorrow. If you get that text that you have practice tomorrow then you know Utah won."

--on how important it is to be in the Rose Bowl
"I feel like the Rose Bowl could be the lowest where we go. But obviously if Colorado does win I think we’re going to San Antonio. But the Rose Bowl is like, we’ve worked so hard and we deserve it. So for us, the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, I think it would be pretty good."

--on how aware he was of criticism toward Helton early in the year
"There’s always going to be criticism. There’s always going to be talk. There’s always going to be negative vibes. At the end of the day it’s, What can you do as a team and as a player?"

--on where he thought the team was going after being 1-3
"It was funny. When we were 1-3, I used to come home, we were like — me and my boys — man, we suck. We should be doing better than this. Joking around though. When the season started picking up and we were winning, we noticed playing at the Coliseum was our advantage, with our crowd and support. It kind of changed and we looked at things differently. We didn’t expect to come out here and be 9-3. It’s a great feeling."

--on what he remembers feeling after the players-only meeting after the Utah game
"It was a lot of emotions. It was a lot of emotions from all players. I even cried. It just hurt because we worked so hard. We had transfers talking how much it means to be a part of the team. I think the biggest thing that was said in there is that no matter what its us against the world. And that was it."

--on how hard of a decision he faces about going pro
"If Adoree’ comes back, I’m for sure coming back and we’re going to win the natty."

--on if he knows something we don’t
"I’m just saying, if Adoree’ comes back. I’m coming back and then we’re going to win the natty."

--on what he’ll do if Adoree’ isn’t coming back
"Then, I might just go wherever Adoree’ goes. Looking by today, I don’t know. He might be in New York."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News